1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader on a trailer?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Groove, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Groove

Groove Junior Member
    from Boston

Just curious why I've never seen a spreader on a trailer. Seems like you could put a large unit on a trailer and tow it around after scraping. Anyone done this?

I imagine the low height of a trailer could be an issue with most spreaders out there.

2. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

it's been done, you might ask JD Dave i think he has one on a trailer.

i wouldnt theink the height would bother it because you want the fan pretty close to the ground

3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Rick,

Your on top of it again LOL

I dont know how much I would want to pull a trailer in the snow & Ice. But hey what ever works

4. Liquid

Liquid Junior Member

Ive seen a guy rig up an e-z dumper..... He thought it would be a great idea until he realized how often he actually does back-up!!

5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

how would you pull it up hills and back it down loading docks(on ice)? i would think it would be a wreck waiting to happen.

6. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

A hospital near here has a V-box mounted on a trailer. Anyone of the 3 plow trucks they have can pull it. It's kind of nice seeing you don't have to plow with all that extra weight. Less wear and tear.

7. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

They use a huge one for the malls around here. Pretty good idea if you ask me.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks PJ. We actually only used trailers for a while. One we pulled behind a pickup and another 8 yard london that we pulled behind a tractor for one large site. They work well most times but you have to be on your toes because as the load goes off you have less togue weight. I figure a pickup is twice as productive if you can actually see out the back. We had controllers in 2 trucks and then who ever was done first could start spreading. Our spreader held a good 4 ton but I wouldn't reccomend going that big. There is a guy in my area with a black Dodge that has been pulling a spreader around for over 10 years and he loves it. We liked ours but we only used it for a couple years then it bacame backup and just recently I sold it. The salter on our single axle is the one we towed behind a tractor for 12 years ( I bought it used in 1990 for $500 and it's been used every storm since 1992)

trailer salter 004.jpg

DSCN2744.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007