1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spreader on a Jeep?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by brunosplace, Jan 2, 2005.

1. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

Have any of you guys ever put a tailgate type spreader on a jeep?
    I am thinking about it, also I figure it will help balance the extra load on the front because of the plow. Or am I going to overload the jeep doing this?

2. brunosplace

Suggestions

Come on folks, give me a little feedback here. :waving:

3. CTAYLORPLOW

CTAYLORPLOW Junior Member

I have a 97 tj too, but i lack the scrotal fortitude to plow with it. the gvwr for the front is 2200lbs and the rear is 2600lbs how much does your plow setup weigh? i assume that you are referring to the hitch mount spreaders with like a 100lb capacity right? in the winter i strap a 100lb tractor ballast in the back and it is unstoppable. If you keep the whole setup under 4300lbs your stock suspension will be ok you could even look into those coil over shocks. And maybe an extra cooler for the trans Thats the part thats a major concern

4. brunosplace

yeah, just looking at using one of the receiver hitch mount ones, as for the suspension I put the Air Lift brand air bags in the front coil springs to help with the plow weight. They work pretty well at keeping the front from sagging too much. The plow setup weighs around 400 Lbs total. Already put in a new 3 core radiator and a pusher fan, and my new trans coolers will be here tomorrow according to FedEx. :redbounce So I know what I'll be doing tommorrow evening. :cool:

5. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

Bruno,
    I have the Blizzard on my 98 Jeep Sport 4.0 auto, it only goes about 250lbs or so. I do put about 4, 80lb bags in the rear, directly over and behind the rear wheels. This helps tremendously. Where did you get your tranny cooler from? What size did you get? I'm going to add that to the vehicle very soon and can use some guidance. Does the rear seat come out on the wrangler? I didn't really ever get a good look at it.
    Regards,
    Jack

6. brunosplace

I put a 10" push fan on & 2 trans coolers made by Long MFG. Tru Cool brand part #LPD4451. One on each side of the core support brace. They measure 4x11 & 3/4" thickness. You can get them from JC Whitney. The reason behind having 2 coolers is because they are small to fit in the grill area with the fan I already have in it. The rear seat comes out very easy. with the seat tumbled forward look at the pivot pins passing through the floor brackets, on the inside ofthe bracket is a type of cotter or hitch pin that you pull out on one side then slide the seat to the side with the pin removed and lift opposite end as pivot clears bracket.

As for your blizzard plow which model do you have? According to their site the 680 weighs about 330 without the vehicle side equipment.

7. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

I do have the 680 for the Jeep. The 810 for the ram. I didn't realize the 680 was that heavy. I thought i remember the dealer telling me it was around 250-275lbs. It really is easy to handle even for one person. I can move it relatively easy without anyone else. Therefore, i didn't feel it was that heavy.(330). The jeep handles it well .but i probably could use a set of timbrens for it. Other than that i love it. I paid $3000 for it installed. I hope and am sure you can do better pricewise. I just realized, originally you weren't even looking about plow info...the spreader i really couldnt help you with. I do have a tow hitch but i never thought about tailgate type spreader for it. Lots of questions, how to you reload ,where do you carry extra salt, This might be too difficult to do. Good luck,
    Regards,
    Jack

Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
  8. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Bruno I've never put a tailgate spreader on my jeeps, but I'd love to see the pics if you decide to do this. My setup is just like yours, except I've got a 5spd transmission. Oh yes, and since I see you are relatively new to the forum, welcome. :waving:

9. brunosplace

Thanks Luppy :waving: I think I've figured a way around the issues of refilling & such. I've got several days of fab work to do in the garage. If what I have in mind works, I'll post pics when its done.

10. demetrios007

demetrios007 Member

I have always figured out ways to refill the tailgate spreaders by planning my routes. I usually have my jobs pretty close together, and find a place to tuck a half pallet or a buddys shop/garage whatever to stash some salt at. I throw them a beer here and there and it works out great....