1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader no workie

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Kaptain_Kurt, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Kaptain_Kurt

Kaptain_Kurt Member
    from Iowa

Finally got to push some snow last night (first time ever, whoopie) I had my Vbox all ready to go. The clutch was froze up in the fall, but I managed to get it free, and all was working. Now last night I flip the switch to disengage the clutch and spread my sand. Nothing happens, well except I hear the clutch begin to whine and stink after a few seconds. I only have about a 1/2 ton of sand in the hopper and it does not seem to want to turn. This must be the clutch, right? I can't think of anything else it would be. Do they get 'weak' to where they will run empty but not with a load in them??? I can turn the spinner by hand so it's not bound up there.

thanks,
    Kurt

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Are all the bearings free and greased up?

Clutches can go bad. Depending on the style and since you said it was "stinky" it could be a pad inside the clutch dtarting to wear thin.

3. Kaptain_Kurt

Kaptain_Kurt Member
    from Iowa

Yeah, I spose it could. It was froze up tight in the fall, when I engaged the clutch it would spin the shaft and the whole clutch assembly, until it ripped the wired out of the top, then of course, it would stop. Well I got it loose and it worked just fine empty. It wasn't until I tried to use it last night that it won't budge. I can turn the spinner by hand, so I'm pretty sure it's something with the clutch.

Kurt

4. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I would guess the clutch also.

One trick I have done in the past is if the spreader is operating normally while empty, run it that way for 10 or 15 minutes and lube up all the grease fittings. Where ther eare no fittings, spray WD-40 or another lubricant all over any area that rubs together, rotates, anything that moves. Get that baby nice and slick. Hopefully this will get it ready for a ton of sand & salt.

5. Kaptain_Kurt

Kaptain_Kurt Member
    from Iowa

Guess it's just frozen

Ok, got the chance to check things out the other night. Looks like the clutch is engaging just fine. The sand is frozen like a rock in the hopper, and when I engage the clutch, the belt just spins on the output shaft from the 8hp motor and everthing else just stays locked up. The 'stink' I smelled was the rubber belt spinning around the pully which would not turn.

So, I'm back to the issue of 'how to keep the sand from freezing solid' I guess.

Thanks for the help,

Kurt