1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader mounted on a trailer???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gottaluvplows, Dec 22, 2009.

1. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

Do any of you guys do this?
    This is me: but think its ALOTTT better/easier to put the spreader in the truck...And you dont have to stop and hook up and drop
    ( Pull up to the lot plow a spot, take of the trailer, plow the rest of the lot,hook up the trailer,spread, leave!)

I Saw one of these today, But the weird thing was he had a truck with a V-box spreader in the bed. and was pulling a v box spreader(like the one below)

2. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

was there a plow on the truck ? maybe it was a dedicated salt rig . maybe with the trailer loaded he only has to fill up once per storm . i agree it does look silly but i have a 08 f 550 hooklift truck with a flatbed mounted salter it does come in handy at one small lot with lots of cars drop the salter outside the lot plow pickup salter and go
  3. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

Thats what i thought! But it had a plow on it!
  4. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I think that is awsome, plus you don't have all that salt killing the back off your truck. There's a guy on here selling one.. If I had the money that's what i would buy.
  5. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I don't like the idea at all. I plow roads and i don't think i would be able to get up some of the hills pulling a spreader. I really don't understand the point.:confused:

Maybe on a flat parking lot it would be good.
  6. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Wouldn't you want to keep it on for ballast? Or you taking it off for visibility sake?

Yea if you had a large lot to do and didnt have a big enough salt truck or wanted a dedicated salter for the lot it would be great. No extra truck to maintain.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  7. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

I wonder if that small trailer has brakes or not ? in a bad ice storm it could be more trouble than its worth.
    and hook and drop all the time, not for me. i like the weight on the back of my truck not behind it, but thats just me.
  8. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

its not for someone plowing roads, if you plow a road, you should laying salt at the same time, should you not? this unit, you plow, then salt, its a two step process, not something you can do at the same time. as far as towing, they're not meant for a 1/2 ton truck, they need a 3/4 or 1 ton (preferrably a 1 ton) truck pulling it. if you still cant pull it, then either your truck is sh*tty or you need practice.

it is pretty awesome, i loved it but now it just sits because i have too many other salt rigs and my trailer is the smallest

the point is to save money and time. you bring it your lot, you plow the lot, hook up and salt and your on your way. I used to one behind my F-350 all the time.

yes they do have brakes. the hook up and drop, takes two mins...its not a lot of time
  9. plowindiesel

plowindiesel Senior Member

i think its a great idea if you are plowing lots all the time. This would also be an efficient setup for someone with a short bed truck that wants a larger salter. would probably save some time/money if your bulk pile was off site and you had to drive back and forth to load up. just my .02 though
  10. redman6565

and i am that guy. still for sale, still haven't used it in over two years, runs but i dont carry a need for it anymore. can't ship it to canada but i'm open to anyone that wants to stop by and take a look
  11. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Was it a Demo unit from Snow-Ex..They are made in Warren...
  12. Mackman

from S.E. PA

Well on this Storm 23in we didn't salt till the end. Cuz if you salt before the end the plows just push the salt right off the road. It would be a big waste of time and money.

About Pulling it. my truck would handle that without a problem. What I'm talking about is if your going up a snow covered hill and your pulling the spreader i think you will just spin. At least if the spreader is in the back of the truck it makes for good ballast. I think the idea is kinda dumb if you ask me. Just my 2cents.:rolleyes:
  13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Call me dumb then, we used one for a few years because we wanted the visiblity in our truck for plowing. Plus I didn't start salting untill we were done plowing and I could load 4 ton in the spreader and go. It wasn't the safest unit on the road but it was very efficient.

trailer salter 002.jpg
  14. redman6565

make two dumbies if you count me sir :salute:
  15. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

During a snow storm the plow contractors are usually the safest drivers out there, even if you are pulling a 4 ton load behind you. I think it is good idea if you have the right accounts to make it worth wild. I got your pm about the blade. Thanks for the info.
  16. dmaxplowguy66

dmaxplowguy66 Junior Member

I've thought about doing that but just haven't got around to doing it/trying it??
  17. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

They are a good idea. However where Im located my house is located by the County
    Road and my shop and yard area is on top of a steep hill. Its great cuz there is only one way in / out. However when I first started out I built my own sander out of a old manure spreader. Had it loaded up behind the tractor with sand. Headed down the hill, the sander pushed the 90 HP tractor , I began to lose controll and got it back after I had jack-knifed the trailer. Thats was the end of my experience. I have one dually dedicated to sanding/salting. And a sander in the back of a 2500 series Dodge. No more trailers for me. However if I was based on a flat area I would probably have a tag along sander.
  18. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

I must be a dummy too, because I've been thinking about making my own. I need to put 3-6 tons down on one big lot, and have a short bed F250. It would be perfect for me. Drop it, plow salt it, go home. Way less wear on my Truck!
  19. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

I meant "plow it,"
  20. Mackman

from S.E. PA

If it is such a GOOD idea. Then why doesn't any spreader company make then right from the factory on a trailer?:confused:

I think maybe now this is a big maybe. They wouldn't sell.

IMO sure it may work for some of you guys. But overall i think most people wouldn't want to mess around and have to deal with a trailer.