1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spreader motor ?????

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by baddboygeorge, Nov 8, 2006.

1. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

I have a few buyers tailgate spreaders the older 600 pound tailgate models . Every year i have to put new motors on these units , Is that common or is there a special type of motor that will last longer an hold up to the elements . please let me know thanks George

2. baddboygeorge

anyone know ??

if anyone can help i would appreciate it thanks George

3. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

go to Home Depot and get a square of rubber. Mount it in between the motor and frame. Drill a hole for the motr shaft to go through, but before you mount the rubber, put some axle grease near the output shaft. I have gotten 3 years out of one motor. Just regrease before each season. Hope that helps.

4. bterry

bterry Senior Member

I have the same problem here. I think it's more common that not. Each year we grease the top of the motor just under the spinner and covered it up - no help, still needed replacing each year. I'd be courious about a solution also, but doubt there is one.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I quit sell those units for just that reason, what the customer saves over a higher quality unit disappears the second year when he has to buy a new motor.

Coating them with Fluid Film helps.

6. baddboygeorge

I have the solution!!

the place where i buy my motors suggested that I locate the motor to the side of the spreader on a mount facing down that is covered with a metal housing an put a pulley on the bottom of the motor an install pulley on the auger an run a belt from motor to auger ! That way the motor is completely out an away from the elements! I will show ya how it all works out Thanks George

7. bterry

bterry Senior Member

I hope it works, but I have my doubts. The new(ish) motors always works great in the spring, and seem to go bad over the summer. Maybe becuase they get crap in them over winter and this will help - good luck and let us know.

BTW - I quit using mine last year in favor of a v-box, that I've run for two years. Now I've got an even bigger spreader and both the v-box and the buyers unit are for sale/spares.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That's pretty much what the quality manuf. are doing.
    You'll need to use large enough sheaves (pulleys) for the belts to grip with-out slipping under load, don't forget you'll need an idler (or tension sheave)

Look at the drive set up on a Snoway, or Snow-EX spreader for a reference.

9. mx495

mx495 Member
    from MO

I went through a few motors until i started spraying the entire outside of the motor with truck bed liner spray or undercoat in a spray can. I spray a whole bunch on it so it soaks in every open crack and seals it shut.

10. MMike

MMike Junior Member

I just bought an used Meyers 600# mini 36003 the motor spun freely when I bought it, but I did not test it before purchase. As I am going over this thing I discover the motor ( of course) will not run, connect to power and ground and I get nothing, not even a hummmm.

To make a long story short, I decided to pull the brushes on the motor and one of them was stuck! After pulling that brush free I reconnected and it is running great! I might have dodged a bullet I don’t think the replacement motors are retro fits and require some reconfiguration of the motor mounting plate.

I still need a controller so I didn’t want to be bogged down working on motor issues right now.

I'm considering some of the protective measures mentioned in previous posts, I'd love to get a couple of years out of this unit.

11. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

20 years old and only 2 motors. The way to solve the summer problem is to break it down at the end of the season and paint it and clean it before you put it away till winter and clean and and spray it wih lube after use.My oldest spreader is over 20 years old and running great looks like a big box but just cant get rid of it while it still works. So all season care works for me and pulling the motor apart to check the brushes.PS seal it with rtv...

12. MMike

MMike Junior Member

That sounds like some good advice, I have access to an sand blaster at work it makes repainting equipment much more pleasent. I will be cleaning/blasting/repainting everything in the off season.