1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spreader light

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by WOODY367, Sep 19, 2009.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I want to put a light on the back of my V-box to see the spreader and light for backing up. I have a gas engine and only want the light to come on when the engine is running. Is there a way to do that? I thought I could tap into the charginf system but sisn't realize there is power there all the time.

2. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

There is a way to do that I have seen it done however I cant figure it out too. I also have a Vee Box spreader and want to have a light come on when the engine starts / running I have tried wiring to the positive side of the starter , ignation and other wires without success. So maybe we can get some help from the Pros on here

3. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Was thinking about cutting a diode into the charge line and then tie the light wire into the charge wire. If I am right it will stop the power going up to the engine so light will be off and then when started it will light and charge.Will this work? How big of a diode do I need? I never bought one before. Just thinking, can anyone confirm? Thanks

4. Top Dog

Top Dog Member

WE TIE THEM INTO THE CLUTCH ON THE VBOXES the only thing about it is you have to be careful when your not spreading for long periods cuz it will kill the spreader battery on the new poly spreaders we are gonna try tieing into the 3rd brake light they have on them since we did hook our led bars we put on the rear of the spreaders and that works great hopefully we have the same success with the spreader lights that we did the leds

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Woody, the diode should work. It would have to be a sizeable diode, at least 15 amps. Truthfully, you'd be much happier by running a wire to the back of the truck with a switch in the cab. You can't have too much light, especially when backing up. And there's no sense in leaving your sander running all the time just for that light.

My Fisher Procaster has three (I think) spare wires in the harness for just this type of thing. If your harness doesn't have a spare wire, set up a quick connect fitting. I use the flat four trailer wiring. I like it because it's nice heavy 14 gauge wire, and there is a plastic coating on it that is very tough.

6. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Thanks guys.I guess I could run a wire all the way back. I have backup lights on the truck already that come on it reverse. I also have strobe. I wanted the light just when the engine was running and I plan on putting LED's on the spreader that I want flashing while the spreader is running.Will have to see what way I want to go and even if I can find a high amp diode.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you want LEDs while you're spreading, tying into the clutch as Top Dog suggested would work excellent. But like everything else, you'll be asking yourself why can't I use them all them time when I'm backing out of driveways.

If you're going to run one wire, might as well get the flat four stuff. Then you've got a spare or two. Should be able to get 25' rolls almost anywhere.

8. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

COR- I totally agree, easier to wire and way easier to track down problems should they arise, your best bet is to run a dedicated line to them with a switch, for example would you need the light on killing your spreader battery during the day?

9. zerolatency

zerolatency Member

If you ran a hot wire off the truck to the lights and ran a hot off the clutch on the spreader into a relay you could easily have the best of both worlds, you could have them on with the switch in the cab and the spreader off as well as it coming on when you start the spreader. to top it all off you won't have to worry about it killing the spreader battery. The trick is keeping the relay and connections out of the weather......http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/relay1.htm ... thats how i have my backup lights setup, they key off either the reverse lights of the truck or the switch in the cab, lots of wiring, but worth it when you aren't fumbling for switches.

10. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

You all make good points. It turns out the engine has 2 wires for theengines charginfg system. 1 for charging the batt and the other is ment for lights. Someone on a small engine forum pointed it out. The sent me a link for the briggs engines different charging systems.