1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader knowledge lacking

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Lcmains1, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Lcmains1

Lcmains1 Member

So I have been looking for a new v box spreader for the last month. It seems that none of the sales people are at all knowledgeable about the spreaders they sell. I have looked at western, salt dogg, fisher, snow ex, boss and hiniker.

The only guy who knew was he was talking about was my Hiniker sales guy. He knew all about it and I think I'm sold because he is the only one that seems to know his stuff. In addition, we buy exmark mowers from his and the service is outstanding.

Anyone else noticed this? Any reason not to by the Hiniker. Looking the 1.8 yard, dual electric motor. $5600 installed.
  2. fireside

fireside Senior Member

That's high priced. Fisher in my area is 4k
  3. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

Lot of $$$

salt dogg's are great spreaders for HALF the PRICE, love mine I have 2 and love electric. I am trying to figure out how to heat spreaders, cause this new treated salt seems to FREEZE, in any dump truck or spreaders. Besides that anything Electric is the way to go.:waving:
  4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I think the opinion of actual users is more valuable than a salesmans biased opinion.I would just google reviews of sanders you're considering.I was considering a saltdogg as a backup salter,salesman said all issues(spread pattern,controller issues)were all worked out.I'm not to sure though,many users are still complaining!For 900$ more I can get a fisher with a lid, it's a tough decision sometimes,who do you believe?
  5. beep

beep Junior Member
    from ma

i have been using 4 yd fisher and torwell with pony engine and they are a nightmare and was considering electric has anyone had any problems with the elctric not having the power and blocking up ?
  6. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Get the vibrator kit for the Salt doggs. Company I worked for had one and I don't think we ever had any issues with it. We kept a poking stick in all the salt trucks just in case
  7. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Don't think you need a kit for Saltdoggs. Mine came with a vibrator standard. I wouldn't buy another one though.