1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader help...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by somervillelawn, Dec 15, 2009.

1. somervillelawn

somervillelawn Member

I just hooked up my new tailgate spreader and noticed that the spreader doesnt flow evenly. I had to keep getting out and hitting the salter to get the salt out, it would dump a bunch and then when I get back in the truck it stops again. Is there anything I can do to help it flow even. The salt was dry.

Thanks for the help!

2. Michigansnowkin

Michigansnowkin Member

What kind of spreader is it? do you have a vibrator kit on it?

3. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

Vibrator kit would be best sounds like to me.

4. Chipmunk

Chipmunk Member

We have the same problem with our Western Low Pro. Especially with Calcium Chloride. That stuff gets wet even when covered with a tarp, so it sticks together and burrows a hole quicker than you can say damn it, lol.
    That and the motor isn't strong enough to turn the shaft if you have it filled up with the wet stuff.

What we do for now with those spreaders if have someone in the back with a shovel. Start off with a few shovel fulls and keep throwing shovel fulls into it. Shaking it as we go if need be. But IMO, looks unprofessional. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Of course, all that could be fixed with a vibrator.

5. somervillelawn

somervillelawn Member

Thanks guys, i'll try to find a vibrator kit. It's frustrating that I bought a tailgate spreader to speed up push spreading salt and I ended up having to push spread it anyways because it was faster than getting out every 20 yards and kicking the spreader. :dizzy:

6. Chipmunk

Chipmunk Member

If it makes you feel better, I know exactly how you feel, lol. Unfortunately, we have yet to buy a vibrator so I can't tell you if it worked out or not. I'm confident it will though.
    After we bought our dump truck, we quit using the tailgate spreader, lol.

Sometimes, you feel like you want to get out and :gunsfiring: the damn thing. hehe

7. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Been there, done that. Bite the bullet and get a vib., you wont regret it.