1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader Help!!!?!?!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sdmaintenance, Oct 25, 2009.

1. sdmaintenance

sdmaintenance Junior Member
    from NH

I need some help guys... I need a good salt/sand spreader... I have two banks and possibly three gas stations that require salt/sand.
    I have been lookn at several models. Do you think one of the salt dog or meyers tailgatespreaders will do the trick or should I get a v-box or ploy in bed sander?
    Money is tight this year so I want to be as thrifty as possible.
    Thanks in advance
  2. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

doesnt sound like enough for a vbox to me. you dont wanna get loaded up and have them decide they dont want any salt this time. I'm still running an old meyer 36000 with a karrier vibe kit and I run everything thru it, bagged, bulk, fines, etc. its served me very well and only costs me around $100 a year to run. (new motor every other year). I've heard good things about the salt doggs, magnums (now meyer) , snowex, and Personally I'm leaning toward a western 1000 for my new one.
  3. the snow

the snow Junior Member
    from mass.

Salt dogg is the way to go. I know a guy who has had one for some time now and has'nt had a single problem. Every storm he is bragging about it and telling us all to buy one also.
  4. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

What do you use for salting "The Snow"?
  5. Stan

Stan Senior Member

V-box would be the way to go. Do you really want to deal with bagged material during a storm etc?
  6. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

as inconvenient as bagged is...it also comes with its share of conveniences. with bagged salt you never have to have expensive storage facilities, you never have to worry about it staying dry, its easier to track and calculate expenses, you can ALWAYS find some sort of bagged product at almost any hour of the day....you may have to pay thru the nose for it, but itll be available somewhere. You can save what you didnt use this year and simply leave it in a dark corner of the garage or worst case, under a tarp till next year. as unhandy as it is to cut open and load several bags of salt a night...its still a very viable alternative to bulk.
  7. jbis1782

jbis1782 Member

I use both, v-box(salt dogg) and tailgate spreader(sno-ex). It all depend is if you have a machine to load a v-box. Only reason we have a v-box is because of larger lots we are doing and have a machine to load it. Still use the tailgate for the smaller commercail lots. Both works, just comes down is you have a machine to load the bulk.
  8. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

great point, i completely forgot about the loader, lol. thats pretty important!!
  9. sdmaintenance

sdmaintenance Junior Member
    from NH

thanks guys! I think I am going to go with a larger hopper style salt dog or meyers 3800.
    we will see how things work out....:dizzy:
  10. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I bought the Buyers Salt Dogg TGS06 with the intention of running bagged material through it. I bought sand/salt to try the other day and it worked great.

It did clog one time but I think it was because of the moisture content in the mix. It was more like mud than anything else.