1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader Freezing

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brad3403, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I use small gravel in my spreader and have a problem with it freezing up. I have to hop up on the truck and shovel it around because it ends up cavarnous and won't fall onto the conveyor. The spreader is a stainless steel Buyer Saltdogg. Has anyone used one of the vibrators on a larger spreader.....I only saw them advertised for the tailgate spreaders. Will removing the baffel above the conveyor help?

2. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

I have never tried it but have been told that a little windshield washer fluid will help maybe worth a try????

3. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I probably would not remove the inverted v on it. All the weight would be on the chain and strain it.

Ive also heard that washer fluid works

4. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

A lot of guys around here have some sort of arrangement to run the truck exhaust up through the bed and duct it around the spreader. It works on the same principle as a heated dump body. Most of them are pretty simple, a piece of flexible exhaust pipe, and some plywood or sheet metal to direct it around the hopper. Real easy with a pickup or dump body, just seal the bed rails to the top of the hopper. A flatbed needs a little more framing to support the panels.

5. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT remove the inverted V it is there for a reason !!!! your anti skid, sand or dirt will freeze if there is any moisture in it and you do not use any salt etc. to stop this.

I use to pick up stone chips at the quarry for anti skid sometimes, and it would freeze up quick... I would dump 3 or 4 gals. of windshield washer fluid on top.. worked great, ( wont work very well if there is a lot of dust, stone-dust, or sand in the mix ) and would cost under $10 for the load !! Good Luck

6. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I went out sanding last night and I put a couple bags of ice melt in with the gravel. I didn't have a problem with freeze up but the temperature wasn't very low. Not sure if it was the ice melt or just not cold enough to freeze it up. Are the vibrators worth the money??? The washer fluid that you pour in, is it just regular or do you use the winter stuff???

7. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass Member
    from CT

Yea, the best way to get it from not stick is using the washer fluid.

8. kkls2006

kkls2006 Member

I have a Fisher Pro-Caster, the Salt sand mix would get hung up all the time until I put 2 vibrators on it now I just hit the switch and keep on moving...Best thing I ever did!!!!