1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader for dump body

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DirtyJerzey, Dec 22, 2008.

1. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

Im looking into getting a spreader on my dump very soon. it is a 3yard dump body, I spent the weekend moving salt and I was hauling 5ton loads at a time, the dump still had room to spare. Im between an undertailgate or a big vbox... throw me some insights, thanks

2. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Try snow ex.they make one for the dump box.

3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

a am a fan of the under/replacemtn tailgate. you can carry more lower and they wiegh less.

4. DirtyJerzey

i was thinking more towards the undertailgate model as I know they have to be cheaper then a whole vbox and I can utilize the whole bed space... But some have told me it sucks have to have the bed up when salting

5. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

Watch your weight hauling 5 yards.

6. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

7. salopez

salopez Senior Member

um...don't salt with the bed up! that how you rip power lines bridges...and ruin trucks.

just tip up to load box and lower....

8. DirtyJerzey

ended up going with a SS swenson. I got a 2 yard with extenders to make it a 3yard. Has wireless remote controlls. I think this will be better suit for my needs. If the dump breaks or there is a problem I can put it into my pickup and use it there at the 2 yard stage and when its in the dump i can use its as a 3yarder. Also if I need to move salt around all i need to do is pull out the vbox, hang it up til I get back with the salt delivery and but the box back in when im ready to salt