1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader for ATV - amp draw on motor

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lawn Lad, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I'm looking to put a spreader on a Honda Foreman. Curtis 175 fast cast or a Trynex 375.

At this point I'm considering the Trynex over the Curtis. The Trynex 375 comes with a 2" receiver mount. In order to put a variable speed controller on the Trynex 375, I'd have to install a 575 motor since the 375 only comes with an on/off motor only. The techy folks said I'd burn up the motor on the 375 if I put the variable speed controller on it. Therefore I'd need to upgrade.

Essentially the Trynex with the motor upgrade will cost the same as the Curtis. The Trynex has a larger capacity (3.25 cu ft vs 2.0 cu ft) and it has the 2" receiver mount. I'd have to fabricate one for the Curtiss. However, the Curtis will take a variable speed controller.

My question is this... will a Honda Foreman handle the electrical draw from the Trynex 575 motor should I go with this set up? It's listed as 12 to 15 amps. The 375 motor is listed as only 3.5 amps.

Any other options out there that you guys know of for spreading de-icer on walks with a variable speed controller from an ATV?