1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader for a F550?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bumgarner78, Jan 29, 2011.

1. bumgarner78

bumgarner78 Junior Member

Good Afternoon- I have an F550 Diesel that I will be putting a dump bed on this spring and would like to find a salt spreader for it with the highest capacity. I am in Richmond VA and have 2 plow trucks and a skid steer. The spreader business in relatively new to me. This is a project I plan to tackle this summer in preperation for the winter of 2011/2012. Thanks!

I am willing to consider used and/or new.

Aaron

2. SnoPro Inc

SnoPro Inc Senior Member

Do you like Stainless Steel Or Poly?

3. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

there are a few different brands out there to choose from including snow ex, salt dogg, fisher/western/blizzard all have smaller vee box models, swenson, and many others. youll probably want to max out at around a 4 cubic yard capacity. theres a lot of info on this site if you research some youll find about people debating on spreader brands, steel vs. poly, gas vs. hydraulic etc. . . i personally like the poly box's becasuse there lighter and dont rust, but most of it comes down to what you want.

heres a snow ex model that would work with your f-550

http://www.snowexproducts.com/?page_id=142

4. LawnProLandscapes

5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

There are a couple different styles available:
    1. V box with conveor chain, (what I run) downside is some salt builds up under spreader
    2. Poly V box, generaly use a screw type conveor system, which should alevaite the build up underneatf box
    3. undergate, (I have one) probably least expensive, uses bed tiping up to feed, probably most difficult to find guys to run, will have greatest capacity
    There are more these are the most common though. Just like anything everyone has their prefered brands & types.

6. bumgarner78

bumgarner78 Junior Member

Thanks for all the help so far. I'm going to take this info. and do my research. Any more suggestions send them my way!

7. LawnProLandscapes

not a problem, plenty of knowledge on this site in every area! good luck and dont be afraid to ask any questions.

8. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Look at the undertailgate. I am planning on replacing an electric vbox with one next winter. It will double my capacity from 1.5 to 3yds in my 1 ton dump.

9. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

if you want a v box then look at the 3 or 4 yard salt doggs. very simple operation, best value for the money hands down. they use a auger vs. conveyor which i personally prefer.

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you are looking for a tailgate salter I would look at tailgate replacement over undertailgate.

11. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Any reason as to why? We have an undergate Swenson Electric that's the cats meow once you get used to it......We considered both, but couldn't really identify a reason to go replacement over under gate.......

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Not all dump boxes have the pivot point at the very back of the truck. Sometimes the spinner will hit the ground before the box is at the top. For guys that don't have power down you might have so much salt slide to the back and into the salter that it is now outside the box and the box won't come back down. We had an under mount and for us it didn't work. There are lots of people that love them. If I tried one again it would be a replacement model.

13. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

I like snowex

There are many different options and we have used many over the past thirty years. I personally like the poly, electric spreaders and have settled on the SnowEx brand. They offer a 4 yard model that will work well on that truck. You can also add an accu-spray system to that as well to pre-treat your material making the product go even further.

Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions.

14. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I have the Swenson UTG on my 450 and IT IS the cats meow... I mean holy crap... For capacity, it is king, I usually run between 3-4 ton on the truck but the other day I had about 6..lol it was an emergency... it was heavy and the tires were bulging out but it held fine..Had to take the turns a little slow...lol However, I cannot raise my body to the max, the spinner motor will touch the ground so I have to watch for that. I can go about 3/4 up which is plenty.
    Power down hoist is a must, that was the installers 1st question. I recommend it.

15. Turf Guy

Turf Guy Member

We've got two Snow Ex Units, 9500 (4 yd) and a 8500 (2yd) and they have been trouble free. We used the run the gas powered steel units and have substantially cut our maintenance costs with these units, plus no gas motors to fight with at 1am!

16. Freedom Dave

Freedom Dave Member

Hey Guys, I have (had) a swenson under tailgate electric spreader on my F550 and have had nothing but problems and haven't had it for 2 saltings at a time. First they installed it to low so I couldn't dump the box more than 1/3rd and then they raised the salter tray and since then the motors keep stopping so they replaced the motors and then the auger motor wouldn't work unless you hit the motor everytime to get it going which was a pain cause you would have to get out and then run back into truck to drive. Finally they couldn't figure out the problem so they said they are replacing it with a tailgate replacement one next week. I have a downeaster tailgate replacement on my 1 tonne and its amazing. The other company is Swenson which people said were "cats meow". I am so frusterated I don't even care anymore.

17. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Get a liquid rig! You will sell more customers on it than rock!
    How much are you willing to spend on a rig?

Say its like 2K
    Build a Nice liquid deicer rig for about 1k

Then get a backup Used tailgate/ v box salter!

You can save over $100 using liquid over rock!

http://saltbrinenj.com/

This is the rig i copied to make my rig for my truck.
    This one cost $5000
    I made it my self for $1000+ labor
    Its NOT hard to build one just buy the tank, pump, hoses and fittings, then some nice nozzles
    Not hard at ALL!

[​IMG]

18. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

We are pretty close to you up in Manassas Va, come talk to us this summer, we carry SnoEx,Swenson,Meyer,Buyers,Western and DownEaster spreaders. I am sure we can help you find something that meets your needs.

19. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Aaron, just my 2¢ on this...

Why spend the additional money on a whole 'nother piece of equipment? V-boxes are great, and have their place, but IMHO putting one in a dump body is just plain silly, and something of a waste of both money and payload. You will generally have greater capacity using the dump body with a tailgate spreader (either kind, under or replacement, have their advantages), and there are some bonuses:
    --you still have a functioning dump truck, whereas you don't if you have a v-box in it. (comes in handy for doing minor relocation, transporting pallets, or other work altogether)
    --you can easily dump off unused or bad salt (VERY handy if your load freezes--shoveling out a v-box s-u-c-k-s)
    --if you line the box with UHMW (the bottom, really) you will find that you won't need a whole ton of angle to keep the material flowing.

If I were equipping a truck, I would opt for a drop-side dump, and just affix a liner (UHMW I spoke of) to the floor. Hang a decent under gate spreader on it, and go to work.

:D

20. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

what is a "UHMW"?