1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader Ettiquette

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by crew, Dec 29, 2001.

1. crew

crew Junior Member

What are all you fellas using fopr a chain lube on your v spreader. I have a Swenson that seems to seize up in two weeks. Since it never snows here anymore, my spreader is always seized.

As long as I am asking for spreader info - I have made the mistake of leaving some salt in "overnight". It seems to me I have heard guys say they always leave a little salt/sand in the spreader for some reason.
    What is your policy on leaving any amount of material in your spreader for any amount of time? Can you leave it full? How long? Does the mix ratio matter?
    What do you do to "summerize" your rig?

This last question reminds me of the guy i saw last spring doing cleanups. He was dumping the yard waste into a v box spreader in his truck. I was all jacked up thinking someone finally figured out how to get another two months of use out of the sreader. Stopped to talk to the guy and he had this spreader packed full of wet leaves and s**t. i asked him how it worked. Said he wasnt sure but was pretty confident he would just fire up the spreader and the stuff would come right out like compost or topdressing. Can you spell stoopid?

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

yes it is spelled STUPID

your welcome

3. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

we use transmission fluid (even used stuff from trans shops, they give it to you) its cheap and very effective,it likes to eat rust and lubes well for the intervals between saltings. we have a air nozzle hooked up to the air compressor w/ a syphon hose into the fluid . very fast and easy even when your half asleep after plowing/salting. Good luck, still bored,no snow, PT.

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Do not leave material in the hopper unless the truck is in doors, or the temps will be above 25 degrees. Even with a mix, it will clump and jam the apron chain.
    I use some old motor oil to lube the chain in the off season. I also loosen the apron chain, that seems to help alot. Try backing off the adjusting bearings on the front of the spreader between uses. Just a few turns, that should help. Also that chain shouldnt be real tight, you want an inch or so of slack or drop in the chain as it rides under the spreader.
    Dino

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I run mine once a month every month of the year. Only takes a few minutes. Moving parts won't seize as easily as one that sits all summer.

Dino is right about the material. It will clump if it sits for a while. Expecially when below freezing.

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I left material in the sander ONCE, never again (I don't have a garage). The sand froze and I had to get a pipe wrench to free the feed chain. Once I got it working, I had to keep stopping and knock the sand down with a bar to empty it. Now I run it off in to a pile.

7. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

NEVER - NEVER leave material in spreader over 24 hrs. even if using for weight during big or long snow storm. empty and re load : if using strait salt and left in you will need a jack hammer ! also if using for weight TARP IT.

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Maybe I'm just lucky so far but I leave about half a yard or so of sand/salt mix in my ProCaster Vbox in my unheated garage. Haven't had a problem yet. I will be keeping a closer eye on it and smaller amounts as temps are staying lower.

9. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Back before we had a larger shop area, we left v-boxes outside sometimes over night. I will say that you must have a mix that has a lot of salt, or they may freeze up on you. Once they freeze up its no fun.

The only cure IMO for a frozen up v-box, is find a heated garage, leave it there overnight, then run the sand out first thing in the morning. The one time we had once freeze up, it had to sit inside for 2 days i think, for everything to complely unthaw. After that, no mix left in v-boxes ever.

Geoff

10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I left some in and it was like concrete never again.My freind used to leave it in all winter never took it out says it was always soft ,BUT he always had problems with his sander every year something would break and cost him .

11. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

does any one leave them loaded inside, to speed things up in the morning?

12. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

It is nice to have a garage to be in. Also to be able to run it back into your own pile. Some though cannot do this. They have already paid for the sand. I agree that they need to be emptied and I always let guys run off into my sand pile. LOL more for me.

13. earth works inc.

earth works inc. Member

we always run ours empty after each run. regarding the chains, used motor oil. tried a product this fall from rhomar - Lubra Seal and Neutro Wash. I hope it works to keep the chains from freezing up. Guess we will find out next fall after we put them away.

The lubra seal was a little pricy, plus i painted it on the main chain instead of spraying it since a lot was being wasted.

14. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

Earth works, we have been using Lubraseal for over four years and we swear by it. We have very little rust on our three sanders, we coat them in the Fall and a very good coating in the spring, and they stay excellent. They are a little pricey but we buy the 6 gallon jug and are able to treat about 6-7 sanders with it until we have to order another jug. They are a good company to deal with and have a lot of other products to choose from. Just my two cents

15. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

SLC1, is that the black stuff I see advertised in the magazines? My sander is stainless, but I have a lot of problems with the pony motor corroding. Would this be suitable for that?

16. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

we use generic chain lube or wd40 whatever is on hand.

spreaders are emptied after each use, even though we can heat our garage. in most cases we also pull out the power washer and clean the hopper and truck. then we will grease the fittings and lube the engine, connections, chain etc.

we also have a large bucket for our bobcat so within three or four buckets the hopper is loaded. so there is no reason to keep the hopper full when not in use.

17. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

Yes it is the black stuff that is seen in the magazines, it is applied with a handheld sprayer, one that you would use for spraying weeds, it comes out think, and we just spread it evenly over everything. The entire v-box, chute, spinner and chain, ect, it seems to work very good, they also sell other products that are supposed to neutrialize salt and other chemicals. I have not tried useing those but they probably work good. Just my two cents

18. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

even with a stainless spreader you still need to lube the chain. try coating the engine with wd-40 or the like a once a month in the off season.
    I to froze a load once, I put a salamander heater right in the v box( only about 1 yd), took about 2hrs to thaw the load.
    Dino