1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spreader engine problems

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by greasemonkey, Mar 3, 2002.

1. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Member

This year we've got two brand new airflow 2 yd v boxes w/ briggs 10.5 hp motors. Thursday one of the guys was washing one of them out, and checked the oil and said it was over filled, and smelled like gas. Turns out that the float needle was sticking on the carb and filled the intake port and possibly cylinder w/ gasoline which made its way into the crankcase around the valve guides and / or piston rings. I pulled the carb off, took it apart, made sure the float moved freely, wasn't full of gas and checked the needle for wear. Everything looked good so I blew carb cleaner through all the jets and vents, bolted the carb back on, changed the oil and it seems to work just fine now. Today the same thing happened to the other unit, and i'm wondering why? I'm going to put some fuel filters on the fuel lines and start putting dry gas in the jerry cans, but does anyone have an explanation for what is causing this?

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

If you tip the spreader to a high angle the oil may flow back into the carb and gum everything up. They need to be kept pretty level. Other than that a bad choke will also cause similiar symptoms.
  3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I suspect the same thing you do, dirt in the needle valve. You wouldn't think a new rig would have these problems. Check your filler can while your at it.
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

My braford will fill the cylinder with gas and actually hydro lock if its tilted backward more than about 15-20 degrees.I set it on a snowmobile trailer in the off season,and when cleaning,because of the rearward balance point,I used to let the trailer balance itself on the spinner assy,there wasnt much weight on it,but it was tilted back.When i went to start it,it was locked up solid,all the fuel was in the cylinder,hardly any in the oil,but i changed it anyway.
  5. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Member

One of these units sits on the back of a flatbed f-450 and the other one sits in the back of a f-250 pickup. While the 250 does sag when its full of salt, the 450 certainly doesn't. This is the first time we've had any problems of this nature and we've been using them all season. They both seem to be working fine now (I just got back from using them)
  6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I have the same engine on my Torwell, when I clean it out I raise the dump body to where you can just stand in the back. This doesn't cause any flooding problems. My carburator is mounted towards the front side of the motor. I'm still betting you got some dirty gas. BTW, my motor came with a filter installed.
  7. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Member

I was thinking it might have something to do with the gas that I put in there, but the units are running on gas bought on totally different sides of town. One has (and had during the problem) no name gas and the other has and had shell gas. Both units were runing fine this morning on the same gas that gave both of them the trouble. I was thinking that a certain temperature fluctuation series might have set the carb's off, but they didn't both go bad the same day, it was probably 3 days apart.

I'm sure that the problem can atleast in part be attributed to briggs and stratton, but I really wish I knew how to prevent it.

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

The 10.5 hp Briggs used in spreaders is a pretty good motor IMO. I have only had problems when they tipped (commn to all small engines) and when an operator tries to run it with the choke on. My oldest, actually a 8.5 hp, has many hard winter hours in varying temps and never gives me any problems.
  9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The only sure way to prevent it is to use the petcock on the bottom of the tank. Only problem is they don't function too long in sander service, it's also inconvenient as hell.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

I have a new 10.5 on a sno-way v and it works great......I have changed the plug a few times this season.....I was wary from the hype .....mine works good........is generallly always level
  11. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

float sticking

If float valve is not closing fuel will fill the crank case. Replace the float and float valve. Also clean out carb and fuel system. This should take care of your problem. Small engines like that are used every day on lawn mowers and they do not run level as yards are not as level as most parking lots. Briggs also sells a manual for under $20.00 and is worth the money.
  12. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

I had the same problem with a vbox last season (2003-2004) twice. I just had the problem last night also. I have drained all fluids, and I will clean the carb etc. but I think if I remember it only happened on very cold nights, as if the gas had a bit of water that froze in the carb.

Last night we ran out of fuel, stopped, refilled, and could not restart. Gas started spurting out of the exhaust.

We did have the dump tipped about 2' up in the front last week but it has run several hours since then, and it is a 12' body, so 2' doesn't put a very steep angle on the engine.

Any others have similar problems, and did anything seem to cure it?