1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader Controller ???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mowey9, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Mowey9

Mowey9 Member
    from Iowa

I have been looking for a tailgate spreader and have found some but they do not have the control to go with them. My question is do I need to get the exact controller that came with it from the factory or are some of the controllers interchangeable. They all look to be about the same to me but I don't know that I can interchange them.

PS. Also if someone could tell me about the wiring harness for them. Is it simple enough to make one if you have a little bit of knowledge.
  2. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. Member
    from Pa.

I'm not sure about the controller, but i was looking for a new motor for my buyers tailgate spreader and went to a local dealer and found one from myers which it was identical to my old buyers. I would think that all the controlers have two wires that come out of the box so it might be compatible, but not sure.
  3. Mowey9

Mowey9 Member
    from Iowa

So is there an answer to this question???? I would think that they would be interchangeable since they are fairly simple from what I hear. Anyone out there know?? :help: :help: :help:
  4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Its a 12 volt motor with a switch or controller. I have a tailgate spreader , all I use is a simple on/off switch . It works
  5. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

I bought a variable speed controler on ebay for I think $45.00. It is suppose to be indestructable, can't be wired wrong.
    Just 2 wires in and 2 out. I wired mine thru a simple trailer wiring plug and mounted it inside the box of the truck. Be sure to use a pretty heavy gauge wire.

PM me if you need pics or if you want the ebay members name, I'll try to find it for you.

As far as that goes come look at my truck if you want,
    Mark K