1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader Control Unit

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BigDawg, Feb 9, 2004.

1. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

I did a search and could not find anything there. I bought a Meyer Mini Spreader, I guess it can hold 600 lbs. I did not get a box with this spreader. Will any box, like a buyers, work on this motor. I imagine it will, but I just want to make sure before go dumping money into one.
  2. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

YES. We have found that for the money and ease of installation, the Buyers works great. Good Luck.payup :nod:
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I was given a big Fisher stainless spreader with no controller. I wondered what I would use to make a controller for it. No way am I going to pay $150 + for one and have the spreaders motor go out after that expense.
  4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

I only salt on empty lots , I have a on and off switch and a 30 amp breaker. Power supply is a heavy duty extention cord. It does the job.
  5. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I saw 3 or 4 control boxes on ebay eayler this week...Rob
  6. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I have an older Meyer control. It is electronic, but does not have blast control. It starts at full speed then slows to dial setting... I don't need it any more as spreader is toast. If your interested in it email me and we can discuss price...Chuck...P.S. I won't be able to retrieve email till morning
  7. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

Well, I bought myself a new gift to the tune of $200.00 and change. I bought from a local Meyer Dist. out my way. Thanks for the imput.:drinkup:
  8. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I have a stainless western, I made a control for it. 3 speeds hi/med/low. works well, I like it better than a turn dial. The med spins about 4 feet wider than the truck and low is the with of the truck. - cost was about $ 25.00

I also made an electric gate opener. Leave the spinner on and open and close the gate to control flow. - cost was about $18.00
  9. badranman

badranman Senior Member

How did you make it and where did you get the parts?
  10. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

Very simple-

speed control- consists of a 3 position switch, and some ceramic resistors found at your local radio shack. I had the factory turn style rheostat. I measured the resistance and substituted. I tested it as I went along, and +/- resistance to get the desired speeds.

The gate opener- is an auto door lock actuator and a switch to run it.
    very cheap and effective.