1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spreader control question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by EWSplow, Dec 5, 2014.

1. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

I just replaced the motor on my Sno Way tailgate spreader.
    After replacing, I noticed it didn't spin very fast. When I set the speed anywhere, 0-10, it spins at the same speed. Could my control be bad?
    Could it have fried when my old motor jammed?
    I do have a Beyers control from another spreader and was considering trying it.
    Any input is helpful.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You sure you have the wires hooked up the right way
  3. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

I unplugged the old one and plugged in the new one. Lol.
    It's spinning the correct direction.
    I did smell a faint electric smell when the old motor seized, just before it tripped the controller.
  4. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I would venture a guess that the variable speed is out on your controller. Try running 12 volts direct from the battery to see speed output. If no improvement may be defective motor. I don't think I have the same brand controller to spreader on any of my trucks. All are set up with universal connectors. Switch spreaders all the time.
  5. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

Thanks. I was going to try the motor direct to a battery. Just thought it must be the controller, since it didn't change the speed at all.
    Figured it didn't matter what controller i use, because the buyers controller was on a Swenson spreader I had a few years ago.
    The new motor is generic. Brought mine in to see if they could rebuild it and it was beyond repair. I paid 1/3 of the cost of manufacturers replacement.
  6. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

The controllers are just variable speed DC motor controllers, unless you have some specific fancy gadget with the controller any variable speed DC motor controller within specs of the motor and voltage should work.
  7. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

It was a bad controller.
    Thanks for the input.