1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader Control Boxes

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by sso 289, Aug 24, 2009.

1. sso 289

sso 289 Junior Member

I just purchased a used Swenson v- box spreader to go in the back of my snow plow truck. This spreader is powered by an engine mounted at the rear of the spreader. The seller did not have a control box for it. He said he just jump started it at the starter seleniod and used a toggle switch to turn the clutch on and off.

My question is simply this: if I purchase a control box, does it need to come from Swenson? Or can I use one from a different manufacturer, such as Buyers? I will have to run my own wiring from where he cut them so I'm not worried about needing a correct harness; I will just splice into the harness that comes with the control box I purchase.

Thanks for the help!
  2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I'm sure you could make another manufactuers box work. It is just matter of get the correct wire hooked up.

I made an extra box for my spreader with just a regular electrical box and a few toggles.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Try going to their web site and do a Literature Request maybe you can get the owners manual and such. It should have the wiring diagram in it. You can buy the wire and everything else you need at Home Depot to make a new controller. You could make a controller real cheap that way. If your weak on the wiring end of jobs, bribe a buddy that knows how,with a case of beer. He will be glad to help.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2009