1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader choices

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by getmydrift, Nov 8, 2011.

1. getmydrift

getmydrift Member

I am looking for input on a tailgate type spreader. I have had customers ask about salt or mix of salt sand / cinder combination. unsure how much I can profit in the short term but long term I think I can add use. I am looking at a tailgate type spreader. We have a meyers dealer local, Western 60 miles away. Meyer dealer has several models he suggest's BL 240/400, or next up in the product line the Blaster 350 or 350 S which is $1000 more.Western products start at around $2200. It will be mounted on a F 350 regular cab with a 8'6" MVP mounted on the front. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks Bob
  2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

UGH. You'd have to better describe your regions needs. But if I guess I'd say they are looking for traction and thinking sand/cinder is cheap and their looking for cheap.payup

I've used mixes of salts together. treated salts with out coatings can clog the salters at some point. So you have to empty or make sure it is DRY. I've heard good things from snowEx for their tailgate that has an auger and spinner and vibrator for mixed and slightly moist materials.

Otherwise for straight gravity sno-way makes the best.
  3. DodgerFan

DodgerFan Senior Member

I have the Sno Ex 1875, works with salt or sand not a single problem. I use a mix of salt & sand
  4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I have used Snow Ex spreaders from tailgate to v-box and have very good luck with them.
    Check out their product line
  5. stewartsrepair

stewartsrepair Junior Member

snow-ex 1875 is the only way to go i have put every kind of mix you can name through mine just keep it cleaned out the carbon steel frame will get nasty fast. I also found it good to open the boxes where the motors are to make it easier to clean and greased
  6. robertpkerrsr@h

robertpkerrsr@h Member

I am also interested in a tailgate spreader. I would like to use one for sand only. I saw an article on a Meyer's spreader that has interchangeable augers that will spread ice-melt or sand. Does anyone out there have any experience with this spreader? Thanks for any input
  7. stewartsrepair

stewartsrepair Junior Member

The only kind of tailgatee spreader to use is the snow-ex 1875 no mater what you dump in it the spreader will spread it at what ever rate you want with out changing any thing.

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Hey Bob, I was in the same boat last year, I made the switch from rezy's only to a few commercial accounts. I really didn't want to use a WBH spreader and also didn't want to throw down a bunch of money on a spreader for a few accounts.The ROI just didn't add up for me.
    I started hitting C-List and got very lucky, I picked up a Meyer 350s complete with wiring / controller for $400.00. It was in "good" condition with the exception of some cracks in the hopper where the vibrator mounts. The cracks were'nt a show stopper at all, they were very easy to repair with some time and about $30.00 for materials. I also blasted the frame work, added a crash bar, raised it 4", added rubber deflectors (to protect the truck), added a license plate holder/light and obviously painted it. I also added a 70amp inline fuse at the battery because I felt it was needed to protect the obvious and built a stand that makes it very easy to handle by yourself. I end up throwing about $100 beyond the purchase price.
    The spreader works very well, I run a mix of Squeegee (sand), ice melt mix (15% ish). It makes going through 600-700# of material a breeze.
    I load the hopper at the site and run it empty before moving on to the next, this is done because there's not a gate to stop the flow while driving, by leaving it loaded it will pack - "bridge over" , also there's a decent amount of weight back there bouncing around.
    I also know a couple of guys who run Salt Dogg TGS 6 and they have nothing but good things to say about them. The amount your going use at the site should play into the size of the hopper/spreader you should be looking for.
    Like most thing locate support needs to be considered when buying equipment, just about every manufacturer builds a good piece of equipment. It's like the Ford, GM, Dodge argument, they're all good and it ends up being which is best for you.