1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spreader capacity

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by shovelracer, Nov 4, 2010.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

How much are you actually fitting into your spreaders compared to ratings. I'm really interested is the capacities for the tornado/polycaster spreaders. mainly the 1.5 & 1.8yd. I have always been able to pack extra into my spreaders by mounding, but am wondering what the story is with the covers. Units are usually measured by the "struck" limit, what are you finding? Thanks
  2. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

I have a 1.5 and a 2.5 in the tornado version. Last year when i got the 1.5 I immediately had the inverted vee installed so i was able leave the lids open and pile it up a bit. Definately not more than an extra half a yard. I only did that a couple times since the point is to have the lids closed so the material stays dry but if you need to overload it a bit, you can. The 2.5 is 2 months old so i haven't tried it yet, but im guessing only about the same to 3/4 extra.
  3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

whatever do you mean by overload?

Picture 056.jpg
  4. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Hey a buddy of mine has one of those in the back of his F250! Its the 2/6 yard spreader! LOL!:laughing:
  5. snowtech

snowtech Member

thats a sweet spreader, did you do the add on yourself? wonder how many extra leaf springs i need to add to put that in one of my 3/4 ton's
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Volumetric capacity is determined by the dimensions of the spreader. Why would that not be accurate?
  7. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

X2............................but remember, guys have been trying for years to figure out how to put 10 pounds of chit in a 3 pound box :D
  8. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

That must be hi-ways new 8 yard V-box...lol :laughing:
  9. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

yeah, the steel is welded on, and the black insert is painted plywood. since the picture we've actually cut it in half, and added the same thing on to all of our v-boxes. keeps some road spray off, and makes loading it easier as well.
  10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Wonder no more.....just get yourself a blivet. :D
  11. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

new to Vboxes this year and I'm wondering, what does 'struck capacity' mean? I saw that in the manual and have read it on here. Is that when you basically force the salt in (pressing down with loader bucket) to get as much as possible in?
  12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Struck means level...as opposed to heaping.
  13. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

ah ok gotcha. Thanks!