1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spread some cinders the other day

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Dirtboy953B, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Dirtboy953B

Dirtboy953B Senior Member

I got a call to spread some cinders the other day...the roads did not really need it but they wanted it done,I ended up putting 5 loads down

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  2. vincent

vincent Senior Member

where did you do that? Cinders are kinda rare around here aren't they?

3. Dirtboy953B

around new melle,we get them from the power plant in Labidie,I spread about 50+ tons a year

4. dan67

dan67 Member

cinders

Cinders is about the only thing used around here, state is the only one using deicer mix, salt is unheard of around here. (state mix is a salt mix). Dan, southern oregon

5. Dirtboy953B

The places I spread them have lakes and ponds,they do not want the salt in the water...the cinders really do pretty good

6. vincent

vincent Senior Member

Learn something new every day.

I wish it would snow. All this ice, I'm about out of salt.

7. Dirtboy953B

same here...got some salt coming this week

8. mx495

mx495 Member
    from MO

Where are you guys getting it and how much? I usually go to T&N, but they are out. I bought it in November for 4.35/bag, and now I can only find it for 5.75/bag at Bucheitt in Cottleville.

9. vincent

vincent Senior Member

I bought my 1st truckload (bagged) earlier this late summer from a contractor in st.charles.

Now I don't know. Brinikies in Bridgeton has it. I bought some mag there last week.

T&N said it would be after the first of the new year before they had any.

I know the guy who owns the culligan store in O'fallon. He said he was going to carry gunther, but haven't checked with him lately.

There was a guy on Craigslist who had the roadrunner for 200 a pallet, but I really didn't want to go to east st.louis at night to get it.

10. mx495

mx495 Member
    from MO

Oh man, that's funny you said that. I went to E.St.Louis and got some. One word- SCARY!!!!! I took a friend and a gun and was still scared. It was the back of some dude's house, down an alley in the HOOD. The street had 20 houses and half were burned down or vacant. He had some salt to, but the bags looked like they were 3 yrs old and had holes in about half of them. Seriously, I feel lucky to be alive and have my wallet.

11. vincent

vincent Senior Member

Now I know I wont go. Thats hilarious.

So was Jed a nice guy?

12. mx495

mx495 Member
    from MO

I thought it was Ned, maybe it was Jed,whatever.lol Wasn't nice or mean, just BIG and straight forward. Lets get this loaded, c'mon. I said OK!

Dirtboy953B sorry we hijacked your thread.

13. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Wonder where he stole that from??????????

14. mx495

mx495 Member
    from MO

There is a Scotwood plant in St,Louis. I assume he works there or has friend, etc.

15. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

that's some funny sh*t........last time i was in East STL i was at some techno club till 5 in the morning!! don't think the bars close over there...i do remember they had Jack and Coke on tap..

16. Dirtboy953B

The salt i'm getting is in bulk and i'm paying $120.00 a ton for it

17. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

Do cinders do anything to your spreader? (clog)

18. Dirtboy953B

Nope that spreader is almost 15 years old,it has only had about two loads of salt through it,I have another one for salt.The cinders go through better than salt

19. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

truck looks nice and overloaded in the 1st pic lol :D

20. Dirtboy953B

It's just barely on the overloads that truck has a 3" lift on the front,it always sits a little lower in the rear,Had to put the lift on it,in stock form the plow mount would hit the ground