1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spread pattern

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by grsp, Dec 28, 2011.

1. grsp

grsp Member
    from indiana

we just purchased an International dump truck that has a Salt Dog under tailgate salter. Here is my question: Is there a way to adjust the spread pattern? It mainly throws salt to the left (drivers side) of the spinner. I have in cab controls that can adjust the distance it throws. But I would like to more evenly spread salt from both sides of the truck. I also run snow ex sp2400 tailgate replacement spreaders, and this spreader throws evenly to both sides. I know you can adjust fertilizer spreaders by where the fertilizer falls on the spinner, but can't figure it out on the Salt Dog. Another quick question, the Salt Dog is ran of the trucks central hydro, and when you take your foot of the gas (to take turns) the spinner almost comes to a complete stop. Any quick remedies for this problem? Besides for a couple (hopefully cheap quick fixes) this salt spreader is kick ass!!!!

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

most undertailgate salters to spread mainly to the drivers side.

to keep your rpms up use a lower gear, keep a foot on the brake, or pump the gas pedal.

we have 4 under tailgates, (central hydraulic) and i can't use them at all, but the guys who do get used to it.

3. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

If you go to the swenson site and check out the undertailgate owners manual there's
    a diagram that shows how to adjust spread. It may apply to your salter.

4. charlefoxtrtot

charlefoxtrtot Member
    from MD

Spreader

The spinner plate should be mounted to a horizontal shaft under the auger. You should be able to slide the spinner plate on this shaft and then tighten the locking collar or set screw.Spinner plate on the left (keep in mind it is only going to move on the shaft about 10" or so. Is slinging salt out the left side about two lane widths or so, depending on spinner speed. Moving the spinner as far right as it will go, slings the salt about equi-distant to both sides of the truck.

The Central hydraulic issue with idle v foot on gas to speed things up. Not sure, both of my trucks work at any speed and function the same from idle to full throttle. The only difference I see is if I raise the dump body while spreading, things slow for a few seconds. Hope this helps.