1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spraying Your Salt with calcium

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PrestigeNursery, Dec 21, 2011.

1. PrestigeNursery

PrestigeNursery Junior Member

So as many people have been trying to find ways to cut costs, one idea that was brought up was spraying down your regular salt with calcium and making your own treated bulk salt. Has anybody experimented with this? Does it work? How do you do it? Do you dye your liquid as well? Cost Effective? Ok I think I am done with the questions. :dizzy:

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I sprayed my salt a couple years back. I think I used like 8 gallons per ton. Made it sticky and did'nt like going thru the spreader. Did like how there was never a clump all winter. Perhaps a little less calcium chloride say 5 gallons per ton. I just used a small electric pump to spray my pile. Would roll the salt pile and spray, then repeat. I liked the results, seemed to use less salt but 8 gallons per ton was too much. Thought about the dye idea, I have wondered if concentrated food coloring would do the trick, but have never tried it.

3. Kubota 8540

Had to think for a second..... seeing clear on white with white light at night is as bad as seeing white on white with white light at night. :laughing:

4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

You could use marking dye for lawn spraying if you wanted to color.

5. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Food coloring is expensive, I use blue or green pond color/dye, about $25 a gallon and it treats 100,000 gallons.

6. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Any links on the pond dye??

7. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

8. deicepro

I just buy it from fleet farm...should be available at almost any larger farm store....only takes half an ounce to color 300 gallons!!

9. Kubota 8540

Can I mix them to get custom colors.....say like hot pink....fluorescent lime green....? :D

10. deicepro

Well....let me get back to you on that...but yes you can

11. DodgeBlizzard

You just can't leave things alone can ya? You just have to mix it to make your own. haha You mix your brines. I came across a post where you said you don't just run wood pellets in your stove. You mix it with corn. Now you want to create custom colors ? Thumbs Up

12. deicepro

I personally like the red dye, no one else can find it....

13. Kubota 8540

Just have to make it mine. :laughing:

14. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Any issues with the dye tracking in to customers business, staining clothes etc

15. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Just gotta make sure no one's helping themselves to your piles!

16. peterng

peterng Senior Member

Kubota,

Are you talking about spraying it with a 100% liquid calcium? I have found 35% up here (in Quebec in 2200lb totes).

Where do you get that? I'd like to compare prices and see if it would be something that be worthwhile having shipped across the border.

My wife is from New Hampshire so I get down that way by times, perhaps I could arrange to bring a few totes back on my float this summer if it is worthwhile.

Thanks,
    Pete

17. Kubota 8540

I sprayed my salt with 32% Liquidow calcium chloride, if I remember correctly the higher the % the better, it will cling or crystallize with the salt or sand. Look around on some of these liquid threads I know I've read some one north of the border has it. I purchase mine from Kevhead20 (Sicalco Ltd, Hinsdale, Illinois) on plowsite. I would think 35% would be better than what I used.

18. peterng

peterng Senior Member

I found a supplier close to here. It appears as though my best choice is to buy calcium flake and mix it myself. The sales rep said they have a long standing knowledgeable distributor who is well versed in application specifics. He said they have concentration directions wherein I could apply the flake to a 55gal barrel up to whatever and mix it with a compressor for 20 minutes, aerating it I thinking he was getting at.

So I'll do some searches and come up with application rates. They have a simple gravity pipe setup.

[​IMG]

simple but it'll be the only way I have a chance of getting more of the deicing in my control sooner rather than later.
    Pete

19. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

The combination of Rock salt and liquid Calcium chloride/ brine Creates a monster like no one has ever seen before! I have never been upset when we use both. Last year we got our @$$ kicked by this storm that lasted all day. By 7PM we had 1" -1.5" packed down frozen snow thoughout this complex . no blades whether it was a skid plow or truck plows could scrape this up. We had the manager on our back RAGGIINNNGGG! Finally we dropped Some rock and right behind it was our liquid truck! By the time we had made our first pass and came back around the pavement was WET/ BLACK!

Therefore now we have a few trucks equipped with liquid AND Rock spreaders. We found treating our own salt was a mess and a PITA!

20. DodgeBlizzard

I'm assuming that lot wasn't pre treated? Do you think the liquid without the rock salt would have given the same result?
    Starting liquids for the first time this year. I think I'm going to do a lot of side by side comparisons so I can see the different results and time lines.