1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sprayer build thread for liquid de-icer and brine spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by GSS LLC, Jan 23, 2013.

1. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

I am taking the plunge. Messing with the one inch storm that came yesterday was enough. I can spray this and go home, instead of spending all morning and afternoon scraping. I will post pics along the way. Thanks Kubota and others for the help and guidence.

2. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

reserved for pics

3. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

reserved for pics again

4. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

reserved for more pics

5. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

Well, apparently you cannot edit posts on this forum. so we will start anew.

FIRST THINGS FIRST, MISTAKES!!!

1. DO NOT BUY FITTINGS FROM TRACTOR SUPPLY COMPANY, THEY ARE JUNK!

2. BUY YOUR FITTINGS FROM BOOMGAARS. THE BANJO BRAND ARE THE ONLY WAY TO GO! HARDER, MORE DURABLE AND SEAL BETTER. I HAD LEAKS ON THE OTHER "WHITE" FITTINGS EVEN WITH PIPE TAPE AND LIQUID FORM A GASKET. SUCKED!

3. add valves EVERYWHERE! you never know when you need to close something off. the LCC sales place fills with a quick connect, not through the top lid of the tank. i would like to close off my plumbing from the filling process but dont have a valve on that side.

Ok, first things first, buy every fitting you think you will need, then double that, and pick some random fittings out so you can change your mind as you build. I returned 300 dollars in fittings and hoses after my build was done. It was worth it to not have to make more trips back and forth for parts than necessary.

If you cannot find a long pallet, get two oak pallets (they are painted blue usually) as they are much stronger than pine pallets. make them one big pallet by using 2x4's on the sides and tops.

IMG_20130124_202037.jpg

IMG_20130124_202046.jpg

6. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

I used a 200 gallon tank. i cut some "RETAINERS" out of wood and used them to locate the tank. this helped a LOT. I used 3/8" air hose on a reel from TSC for my spray wand to do sidewalks and spot spraying, it has worked great so far.

the valve that comes off the tank closes it off so i can self fill from a tote using the engine and opening up the valve that T's off the suction line.

I then T'd off the top (pressure) port and ran one line of 2" through a on/off valve for a pressure regulator (about halfway open gives me 25 psi at wide open throttle). the other way goes to a T which the spray wand line comes off of. then to the 12 valve solenoid to open and close the boom line for spraying. then to a filter, then to a 1" quick connect fitting that the boom hose connects to.

IMG_20130125_113641.jpg

IMG_20130125_113716.jpg

IMG_20130125_113724.jpg

7. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

You will also notice using a T i installed a psi gauge, a necessity for monitoring pressure in setting up the system to make sure you dont blow lines and nozzles across the parking lot.

so here it is installed on my truck. used a on/off/momentary on switch to power the valve, for the wiring of the valve, you need a 12 volt posotive, a ground and a switched 12 volt line. easy to do, i used a 4 way flat trailer wiring plug for easy connect/disconnect.

IMG_20130125_144155.jpg

8. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

AND SPRAYING! I used 3 jet black nozzles and wet body check valves that mr. Kubota referenses to all the time in the anything sprayer related thread, and the valve he uses. Honestly, i completely robbed this design from him and bigboyplowin. but they take crappy pics and notes. so i wanted to dumb it down for those of us tards that want to try this.

IMG_20130125_144207.jpg

9. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

And lastly, after an 80 mile trip with 200 gallons of LCC sloshing, I bought a 50ft roll of 3" perforated tile line. Shoved it in whole. That worked like a charm as a baffle. Huge difference!

10. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

the nozzles are 20" apart and i had to install the bulkhead at the top of the tank for the return line.

11. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

Alright all of the white plastic fittings from TSC are leaking, just slightly. I'm afraid to tighten them any more. So I will be replacing them with banjo brand fittings. Use LOTS of thread tape also.

12. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Polypropylene Fittings ( Black) seem to be the only ones that work in a high vibration plumbing system. Even in normal plumbing situations I have never had much luck with the white (nylon I think) fittings.

Tru-Blu Pipe Thread Sealant is a fast-dry, flexible set thread sealant designed for high vibration environments such as refrigeration and industrial applications. Teflon has been added to enhance thread lubrication during assembly and break out. http://www.dultmeier.com/products/0.630.2128/2173

I have wanted to try this but I forget every time I'm at Dultmeier's.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  13. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

IT WORKS!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

i drove between 5-10 at the gas station, the top pic is of the apartments i do, i drove 15 mph there and it worked great. 5-10 is too slow i think.

15. Kubota 8540

Both places are nice and open to spray, wish mine were like that.

Once your sprayer is set up, it sprays a constant volume, by speeding up or slowing down you can vary the gpa. Just like you can when spreading rock salt or sand.

16. newage

newage Junior Member
    from athol

help

do you have a parts list as in what size valves and what fittings are needed my wife will let me build one but yet i cant buy a new one lol. any help would be nice thx kyle

17. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

Glad to see that you have successfully built your own. And that you still have the gas station as one of your clients (I remember them from previous photos). Who knows when I'll get into the liquids but definitely get yourself ready for the crazy list of questions that will follow.

Michael

18. newage

newage Junior Member
    from athol

what psi should it be ran at and what is you gallon per acres as in 100 gallons cover 2 acres. i have 3 condo units we plow and each lot is about 1-1.4 acres. i was trying to figure how far a 350 gallon sprayer will last so i can figure out what i need to charge and how often i will need to refill. we also have 75 driveways some witch are long and steep. i would like to ditch all sanders and go strictly liquid b4 and after. i also could use help building a spray bar as what nosels to use and how to do it. i don't mind paying for the info i know nothing is for free in this world. thank you for any help
    kyle
    newage landscaping and tree

19. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Great job man, glad to see it worked for you. Here is our build in action last weekend.

20160126_075803.jpg

20. Kubota 8540

Guilty of that for sure. I always say I will take pics and write stuff down, but like usual I tend to get busy getting things done and dont take the time .