1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sprayed salt and anti-icing

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by n y snow pros, Jan 6, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

DOES ANYONE DO ANY ANTI-ICING (PUTTING A LIQUID OR SOLID ON THE ROAD SURFACE BEFORE IT SNOWS).MY SECOND QUESTION, IS THERE ANYONE USING MAGIC OR ANY OTHER LIQUID WHICH IS SPRAYED ON SALT OR SAND OR BOTH.WE ARE A DIST FOR MAGIC-0 AND WERE JUST CURIOUS IF ANYONE HAS TRIED THESE TYPE OF PRODUCTS<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I do some pre wetting on some acounts. I pre wet a sand salt mix with a 70/30 ratio. Some times i use pure salt, and have pre wet that. I only do pre wetting on accounts where the bid is high enough to support the extra cost. The reason is most people don't want to pay for the pre-wet cost even if it works better, well this is Maine people aren't to high tech here. The only reason i even got my pre-wet systems was because the dealer couldn't sell them to anyone, and sold them to me at cost. I may also pre wet the start and end of a private road, sometimes i tell the guys to hit the curves and hills, depends on the conditions of the road. Just note when i hit extra stuff i am not making any money for the pre-wet, but i am not having to return for a second app.<p>Geoff

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

What are you using for the liquid in the pre wet system?<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. GeoffD

Mag-chloride. Any sugestions<p>Geoff

5. Henry

Henry Member

What is pre-wetting?

6. GeoffD

Pre-wetting is when you spray a chemical in a liquid form at the material that comes out of a spreader. Pre-wetting systems were first put on v-box spreaders, only now they are aviable on under the tailgate models and replacement tailgate models. <p>Geoff

7. parnellyj

parnellyj Junior Member
    from MT

jmowg? geoff

8. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

I anti-ice and pre-wet with ICE BAN

9. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Anti-icing with Iceban at a rate of 40 gallons per acre? So 1 gallon for every 1,089 square feet? How about the rate for right after I plow, to burn off any left over snow or glaze left from plowing. What rate should I apply Iceban? Also, are there surface temperature limitations?

10. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Unless it's super cold, you'd probably be best off to drop straight rock after blading, so it will brine up whatever is left and should help to burn off any light precip for awhile and keep the flash refreeze down. I don't have the specific rates handy, but I do know that straight Ice Ban (200, for example) really shouldn't go down by itself. The 250 is the same product cut with 50% Mag--not sure which one you have, As far as temperature, I know EFC claims Ice Ban 250 freezes at -45°F (http://www.earthfriendlychemicals.com/store/ICEBAN_MPT_REPORTS/ICE_BAN_250/IB 250 Product Sheet.pdf), but have not used it enough to really know its limits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.