1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spray vs. granular

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dayexco, Oct 31, 2003.

1. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

forgive me, i'm a newbie, and see that i've already posted this message in another (wrong) forum board. if you can help me here, i'd truly appreciate it.
    i've been doing snow removal for quite a few years. but here in south dakota. salting/sanding has been a no/no...now we have corporate customers (like target and walmart) requesting it. we have to get geared up to do it. have been looking on the net for different ways of applying it. what's better? the granular? or the spray? remember it gets dang cold here. to me, it looks as though the spray units are pretty slick. any help would be appreciated.

2. yako

yako Member

it seems to me that most guys treat there granular material with liquid(magic) i buy my salt pretreated. i have read up on the net about liquid deicing it sounds like it is the wave of the future, but theres a lot to switch over to a new method. since you are starting out fresh i would strongly consider going liquid.

3. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Take a look at the article on liquid mag chloride on the www.snowplowing-contractors.com web page. Button on the top here. I have the background and how we did it. The biggest thing you need to do is find a distributor that can service you. PM or email me and I will give you the name and phone of the folks we use here in Colorado. I know they deliver in SD.:waving:

4. TBone303

TBone303 Junior Member

why is it a no no to sand and salt in South Dakota. Are your costumers not worried about slip and fall lawsuits. :drinkup:

5. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

typically not the sueing kind here, but the big corps are afraid of it

6. pyrocare

pyrocare Junior Member

Where at in South Dakota are you, I am down in Vermillion

7. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

watertown