1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spray on bed liner

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by CityGuy, Feb 8, 2009.

1. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Anybody spray on their own bed liner? Does it look good and how long does it last? How hard was it to do? Does the roll on work better than the sprayer? Any tips or tricks as I am considering doing this to my new truck.
  2. robison_01

robison_01 Junior Member

not very good

yea i did my tailgate with it i used a 4 inch grinder got all the paint of wiped it down with paint thinner to clean it and did 4 coats like it said looked good but first ladder in the back chiped it. did it on all the bottem of my truck for rust purpose no chips at all. i wouldn't do it again.
  3. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

I didn't do mine on my own but I have Rhino liner spray in liner in my 99 superduty and I've about got it shreaded. But I'm rough on Sh@%.
  4. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

Guess I should have proof read that before I hit enter.
  5. berkshire

berkshire Junior Member

Rolled the back of my truck,cleaned well before application but still peeled off. Do touch up with cans when it needs it. WOULDNT RECCOMMEND doing it yourself with a kit , i am going to pay for a pro to do it next time.
  6. Tim/oh

Tim/oh Junior Member
    from Ohio

We used to spray liners at our bodyshop as "filler" work during slow periods. I am yet to see a "do it yourself" liner that I would consider a good product. If your looking to clean something up to sell they fit the ticket, but to truely preserve the inside of your bed you should spend the money and have it done by a professional. They are alot of work to install one correctly and the material is expensive. About 2 yrs ago we would have $250 in material and about 3hrs labor in one. Not a big money maker...and a messy job.
  7. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Did the herculiner on my truck, had for 7 years not a problem. Put a large rock in back to " test it" not a scratch. Sanding bed to put it in took some time and use xylene to clean bed before rolling it on.
    Rhinoliner lasted 3 weeks before it got first cut and cost $500 more and daler said it was " abuse" Thought trucks were for hauling stuff???? after some bitchin' they repaired it. For my money $50 herculiner on sale at menards was money well spent
  8. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

The key is to sand the existing paint to rough it up. That gives the roll on liner something to stick to. If you put in on glossy paint it will peal off easily.
  9. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

IMHO, Herculiner and Durabak are the two best roll on liners. They require proper surface prep per the instructions, not just wipe it down with whatever paint thinner you have on hand. I've used gray Durabak on the inside of my Bronco, no more carpet, and I'm very happy with it.

That said, my last three pickups, since 1992, have all had Ford drop in bedliners. At less than $250 the price is hard to beat and they've held up very well. These trucks aren't abused but they have hauled snow plows, engines, transmissions, axle housings, small farm equipment, etc. I wouldn't use a spray on or roll on liner unless it's something where you can't get a drop in liner.
  10. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

So if I were to consider doing it on my own does the scratch pad work good? Or a friend told me to just but some 200 grit sand paper and sand off all paint and then apply. Is this better?
  11. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

I had my truck done with Line X when it was new, It's three years old now and not a chip and I throw stuff in the back all the time, It also has a lifetime repair gaurantee if it ever does chip.
  12. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

If you get a spray on liner you want something with Isosyanate as the second part. Thats what gives it its durability.
  13. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Spend the money and get the Line-X, I have two trucks with it now and its the best, no chips and still looks good after several years.payup
  14. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

Is this a new truck?
    I wouldn't sand off all of the paint unless it's an old truck and the paint is already pealing. Use whatever solvent they tell you to use to clean it.
    Scuff it up, a pad is OK to get in all of the contours but I'd go over the big flat areas with something like 80 grit to give some scratches for the liner to bight into.
    Use the solvent again to make sure it's clean.

Again, new tuck, I'd opt for a drop in liner. You spend 20-30-40K for a new truck, $250 for a drop in liner, worst case if you don't like it, pull it out in a year or two and and then spray or roll on a liner.
  15. Kunker

Kunker Member

Used 180 grit to sand my Sonoma when I picked it up (big scratch the first weekend hauling a generator so I had to do something). Took about 4 hours to get everything sanded nicely, then cleaned it up with solvents to get all the gunk off. Used a Schultz (spl?) gun to apply and it worked awesome. Nice thick coat but very slippery (hippo liner from a local store). I had done my S-10 with a roller (sandblasted, primed and cleaned) and it came out thin, chipped instantly and was generally terrible.

My friend got his professionally Rhyno lined and it was much thicker, anti-skid and warrentied. I think if I had to do it again, I'd pay to have it done.
  16. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

The only problem I have with doing a drop in liner is that on my 98 it accelerated the rusting process. Water would get trapped up and under it and it rusted within a year. This is why I am considering a spray in liner on my 08.
  17. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

dont do it yourself... spend the extra money and get a linex it has a lifetime warrany. if you do it yourself to sell the truck to make the bed look better is fine, but if you want it to last have it sprayed by proffesionals.. jmo
  18. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

I would never put a drop-in liner cause of rust. prep is the key to any spray/roll in liner
  19. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

line ex is fare better than ryno...

the ryno peals up way easy with anything sharpe , even a nail sticking out of a pallet... and it was surface was prep correctly

it also didnt provide much if any protection against dents

personally i would go linex... and on top of it, i would lay a peace of ply wood down in the summer time, to limit problems
  20. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

I have personal experience with two trucks long term, one 10 years the other 12 years, no rust problems on either, drop in liners since new.