1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spray gun for Fluid Film?

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by sprayon, Aug 11, 2009.

1. sprayon

sprayon Junior Member
    from Canada!

Hi all, I want to spray my lawnmower and vehicles with Fluid Film NAS this winter but want to use the right spray gun. Last year I tried the following types of guns:

1. Standard undercoating gun - found it to spray on way too thick.
    2. Undercoating gun from NAPA - I found it to clog up way too fast using the hoses it came with.

What do you guys use to apply the NAS? I'd like something that also has the small hoses to get into the doors etc. I'm up in Canada so if you know of a place that would be great!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  2. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

Try a Wagner airless paint sprayer. We've tested a few and they work very well.

3. sprayon

sprayon Junior Member
    from Canada!

4. Dano50

from CA

We've actually tried some much cheaper ones and they worked really well. This is the last one we tried and we liked it.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Pinch the nozzle closed a little at a time until you get the right coverage or place a homemade restricter in the pickup tube. Works great then.

6. sprayon

sprayon Junior Member
    from Canada!

Interesting. Ideally I'd like to get one that has a hose that I can spray inside the doors etc as well. Do the powerpainters have the ability to spray upside down? I don't have access to a hoist so I'd like to be able to spray the underbody while on ramps etc.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I bought the gun with the Blue canister from Napa 6 years ago and hav sprayed well over 100 gallons of FF through it and it works great. A wagner power sprayer doesn't allow you to get in behind door panels and such. We drill holes to spay inside rocker panels and such and we find this gun works perfect. http://www.toolweb.com.tw/Undercoating/undercoating.htm

8. sprayon

sprayon Junior Member
    from Canada!

See I found that I couldn't use just the gun always had to have a hose on it. Really didn't seem to have a nice fine spray it would get clumpy at times (seemed like the gun was designed for thinner oils)

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I need to get something for a gun soon. Will be watching this thread.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You don't have your air turned up enough or something is wrong. We made up extended wands for ours out of brake line so we can take the tail lights out and spray right up to the front of the box. Also have a smaller wand that we put inside the doors. You might want to try playing with the crimp on the end of the wand.

11. sprayon

sprayon Junior Member
    from Canada!

What kind of pressure were you using? If I remember I think I was using around 70-80psi

12. sprayon

sprayon Junior Member
    from Canada!

Hey guys - just wondering what kind of PSI I should be using on the gun. i have access to the NAPA gun, so maybe I wasn't using enough pressure?

13. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

i havent used the product yet, but plan to very soon. what about a pesticide sprayer? that would be ideal for me because i want to cover the frame of the truck and the long wand would allow me to get into tighter areas with ease.

14. Dano50

from CA

The problem with the canister sprayers is the issue with proper atomization. If you are just trying to shoot some into a tight area and it doesn't matter if it comes out in a stream, then it should be fine.

15. sprayon

sprayon Junior Member
    from Canada!

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

17. sprayon

sprayon Junior Member
    from Canada!

I think the gun was only made for 90PSI...I could try that might wreck it though? Explains why its working better for you though thanks for letting me know! :cool:

18. sprayon

sprayon Junior Member
    from Canada!

Sorry missed that Dave. I'm in the London area. Do you have a contact number? Want to see if 120PSI is ok on that gun.

19. U1200

U1200 Member

I'm using a siphon spray gun I picked up from Grainger. I wanted one that I could leave the gallon can on level ground and be able to spray straight up underneath trucks. It has about a 12" nozzle on it to get up into hard to reach places too. It works pretty good although I'm thinking the thick fluid film may be causing the hose to collapse a bit under the suction.

20. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We just use a cheap undercoating gun and ran a 3/8 rubber hose off of it (about 14" long) so we can get into all the hard to reach places. Works great, comes out like a heavy fog and covers everything with about 70 psi.