1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spray De-Icer vs. Light bar

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by johntwist, Nov 11, 2004.

1. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Ok fellas, here's a good one for you.

We all know that during a storm the snow/ice builds up on the light bar to the point where it looks like a half-dead flashlight in a snow cone. At first, I'm thinking, no problem, just get a can of spray windshield de-icer and spray it down to clear off the lens and get my stobes back. Then I thought, the lens cover is clear plastic, not glass. I'm picturing my $220.00 mini strobe bar with a cloudy looking ruined lens cover due to the chemicals in the spray de-icer. Any of you have any experiences with this? I'm thinking most of you probably don't bother with it at all, but I'm big on maintaining my visibility, and we already beat that issue to death in another thread.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

2. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Drive faster :angel:

3. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I have one of those brushes with the long handle & ice scraper on the end. Works good for me. :waving:

4. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I knew I was going to get my --lls broken on this :rolleyes:

That's ok though, don't dish it out if you can't take it, right?

Boast, I'm glad you've got my back on this one, a long stick with a brush on the end of it. You're a lifesaver! :drinkup:

5. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

see if you had halogen rotators the heat would melt the snow and ice.

6. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I wasn't making a funny HA HA, I was being serious. I have a long handled ice scraper with a brush on it from Wal-Mart. "Keep'em clean & you'll be seem" :waving:

7. ChipsEarthWorks

ChipsEarthWorks Senior Member
    from CT

this going to sound stupid but trust me it works, Either wax the lens or put rain-ex on them i do it to my lens and it works good not great but good hope this helps :drinkup:

8. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Chips:

That's not stupid at all, I'm going to try that. I know I can scrape it, but I want to avoid that so I don't scratch it all up. That will probably help alot. Thanks :waving:

9. ace911emt

ace911emt Member

cleaners

we have used lens polish but boat wax or a mild polish compound (3m) seems to work the best on lexan and will remove the haze bugs and etc. the snow will not stick as before we drive fast in the fire trucks... :salute:

10. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

84 has the right thing going halogen rotators heat up the cover so no ice or snow sticks but i also use rain ex to help with sticking snow and ice. strobes are great but i like the rotators so you dont get snow blind flash thing just a few years of driving plows guys the strobe thing looks great but after a long nite of working my trucks still can been seen because there is no build up of road sludge or salt film just my 2 cents :salute: