1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spots of rust

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Enviouslawns, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Enviouslawns

Enviouslawns Senior Member

I have a 2001 f-250 lariat and this is the first year that its been used for plowing and salting and there are tiny spots all over truck especially the front bumper, the bumper is the one that looks like chrome but really is plastic, any ideas of what i should do so it does not spread?????

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

did you wax your truck really well before plowing season? I always suggest to wax the heck out of everything you can on your truck right before winter. Then it is just constant maintenance. Was everything down after every storm and inbetween storms as well Once it starts to rust, it'll only get worse. are you sure it is actual rust and not just rusty spots that will buff out? I have seen rust on my front bumper before and then after a good wash it's gone. It makes no sense to me. Maybe someone else can chime in on that one.

3. Enviouslawns

Enviouslawns Senior Member

no i didnt wax it, but after everytime i salt or plow it all get powerwashed, and scrubed twice. so theres nothing i can really do besides sell it lol to fix the problem?

4. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

prob just bad metal Ive seen a few out there with these problems ever see the little flecks of rust all over body panels not even a year old . Ive read some where that rust in the panels was attributed too rail car delivery? i dunno how true that is . try grinding down to bare metal and there hitting with a primer and top coat of your color be my first step .

5. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

My 03 f-350 started rusting on the A post and the drivers door after one year of plowing. The dealer fixed it all under warranty but it was always in the back of my mind. It was just another reason why I wanted a new truck last year. I should have kept it though. New truck new problems !!! When the rust was getting fixed the dealer clear coated my mirror and side window. As far as your bumper I guess you'll just have to keep it as clean as possible. The factory chrome has a clear over it so steel wool is out. I clear coated the inside of my bumpers on the new truck just to try and keep it all sealed up. Salt is just really hard on stuff, Good Luck !!!

6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Referring to rail dust, it doesn't necessarily only come from delivery by rail. Living in any area near tracks with lots of rail traffic, the iron dust created and thrown into the air settles on cars and rusts. You could try using a clay bar to remove it, if it is just rail dust in the surface. If they are rock chips through to the metal starting to rust, of course it will take a little more work.

7. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

I would try a clay bar also, and you may be able to polish the bumper with some cotton wadding.

8. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

The piece of steel on the plow known as a cutting edge may just be the culprit too. Ever watch a guy plowing at higher speeds at night............Wonder where those sparks end up............Your truck is behind the edge and the steel you're wearing off doesn't just vaporize.

A good waxing pre season with touch ups and cleaning in season will help. This shows up more on white trucks than the others but any light color will show it easily.

From a guy with little specks on his too..........................

P.S. you could switch to Urethane