1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spot Lights for Reverse

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by theguynextdoor, Nov 13, 2008.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Last year I wired up 2 $10 lights on the back of my bed for plowing. They were not bright and didn't last very long at all. I want some really bright lights this year on the backs of both trucks. I heard that CAT lights were really good. I know about the whiteknight lights that you put on your trailer hitch, but I dont want anything mounted below bumper cuz I often back into snow banks because my trucks are too long. I was looking at the Cat website and they have halogen and HID lights. Are the HID lights ridiculously bright and expensive? What do you guys use? Where did you get them and how much $ ?

2. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Warn makes a nice back up light. I'm not familiar with the Cat ones but if you got a part number i would like to check em out myself

3. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

there are different wattage hid's just like halogens and yes the higher wattage ones are like day and nite compared to a halogen

4. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Extra light is helpful, I wouldn't go overboard though...keep it simple!

5. J.E. Hoenig

J.E. Hoenig Junior Member

6. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Don't think I want to spend 400-700 on one light. I bet those are bright though.

7. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i use tractor lights from the local parts store on or spreader trucks and for $10-15 i think they work great!!! our plow trucks are all stock lights since we do all commercial and they always have the lights on...

8. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

The nice LED ones cost about 500 a piece.

9. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 99 2500 chevy and just have a pair of fog lights mounted under the bumper at the mounting bolt just to the outside of each frame rail. They work great. I can't see paying anywhere near 4 or 500 per light, or even set. I have a whopping 25.00 invested in mine and they are at least 300% brighter than the stock reverse lights. Instead of paying 400 dollars for a set, you could just put 32 clear fog lights on the back and I would have to guess that would be just like daylight as well, lol.

10. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

Here's my set-up, got them hooked up to a toggle switch. Was going to run them off a relay triggered by my reverse lights, but decided it'd be more convenient to be able to turn them on without having to have the truck in reverse.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pay no attention to the loose wiring, it's only temporary until I get my l.e.d. mini-bar.