1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sportsman 400 or 500?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by ilucas, Mar 3, 2013.

1. ilucas

ilucas Member

Well here's the story.... I have an 05 sportsman 500 that sits around all winter unless my 14 year old son plays around on it..

I plow a complex with 3 lots, a long drive, 56" wide walkways about 2500 ft in length (hot top) and about 2000' of 4' rear access path on grass.

Of course I use my truck for the lots and drive and the snowblowers for the walks. The snow blowing is very slow especially on the bigger storms and all those hours on the blowers adds up fast and they start to get tempermental.

My son has been pestrering me to get a plow for the wheelr so he can bang around doing our driveway while I am gone doing the complex. So I figured I would look for an older smaller wheeler w/ a plow for him to plug around on.

Well in my search for a smaller wheeler I started thinking about putting it on site and leaving it there to blow out some of the wide open areas of walkway and cut down on the snow blowing time, problem is I could not find a good used one.

So I decided to just buy the Eagle 60" original mount set up for the 500 sportsman and put it up on site and then try to explain to my son that I stole his idea and am going to use it at the complex (what a rat!).... 2 days after I order the plow set up as good luck would have it I was still browsing Craigslist and I found an older sportsman 400 with under 400 miles on it.....I grabbed it, no plow or winch but I got it cheap enough that I can get a set up for it and leave it home for my son to learn how to move snow with....perfect... and we will have a second wheeler to ride together!!!

My ? is with the info above on the walkways I wondering what most of you would do? Would you use the smaller machine with a 60", 54" or 50" plow on site or use the 500 with the 60" plow on site? I have not bought the second set up yet except for the winch so I am open to all thoughts ........sorry for rambling on

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Well I have a 500 sportsman with a 48'' plow and I made wings for it Now plow is 58'' wide this last storm we had
    We took wings off So the ATV could plow the heavy wet deep snow 10''+with drifts
    It was doing ok with wings on But when my sidewalk guy took them off he said he could plow deeper snow with out the wings
    I know a blower works well on deep snow But a ATV will clean them faster under 6'' of snow and even over 6'' of snow You might have make few passes with ATV travel speed of a ATV is a lot faster then a blower
    500 or 400 will plow snow just fine

I don't even own a blower if My ATV cant do the job My little Gehl Skidloader will
    Blower can eat a lot time up
  3. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

if your sportsman is reliable I'd put that on site with your 60" blade on it.

how wide is your walks to plow? you don't want the blade to be in the grass and also on the sidewalk tears up the lawn.

also at the start of the year make a pass in the grass with the blade raised up some so you have room left at end of the year to plow snow also

Leave the New to you 400 sportsman at home for son to play around on. that way if its hard starting or tempermental its at home for you to work on. Nothing worse than having machine sit on site and then not be able to get it started.

watch CL for a used smaller eagle plow to put on the 400 or get 50" for it.
    key is you want to be able to put either plow on either machine. maybe next year you put the 400 on site with smaller plow and the son use the 500 at home but also pick up some other accounts.

just my thoughts.

sublime out
  4. ilucas

ilucas Member

yup, was thinking along the same line with the smaller blade and then swap out wiht what ever works best ....paths are 57"+ or - so I think even the 60" on 1st angle may even work if I stay centered on path.....might be getting some snow here mid week, would love to try it!