1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sports authority fires USM!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawn king, Jan 15, 2010.

1. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Word came down today, sports authority nation wide, fired usm for poor snow service performance.

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Are they going to another "Big Boy" are letting store managent manage their own requirements??

3. Buck Bros.

Buck Bros. Member

We still get calls from USM daily looking for suckers . I always end the call with," cut me a seasonal check for $......... and when it clears , we will be happy to service the lot ".For some reason thats unacceptable to them . Hold your ground .

4. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

Before USM was awarded the contract there were a few companies requesting bids for the upcoming snow removal season. I cant for the life of me remember who the companies were, but Im sure Sports authority will be signing up with another company to manage it nation wide. Seems to be the rule these days. Good luck

5. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Plus u doubt they would be dumb enough to fire them without having another contract signed or a plan in place. If not then the people that fired usm need to be fired too.

6. lawn king

They pay contractors dirt cheap rates, then take an additional 7% from you for their so called rebate program, then top it off by taking an additional 20% from you if your area does not meet or exceed the annual average snowfall! I cant even believe anyone in their right mind would sign that contract?

7. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Just for kicks, I went and read USM's site about Snow Removal. In business, nothing annoys me more than misspelled brochures, websites, or people who can't manage to have a decent grasp of the English language. Even plowsite and lawnsite, I hate trying to read people's posts with poor spelling, word choice, or grammar.

At any rate, USM's site has 3 blatant misspellings in the first paragraph. Pretty embarrassing. See for yourself.

8. lawn king

I read their contract, insane to do business with them unless you like aggrivation and getting screwed.

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Does anyone know if there is more than one "USM" in facilities maintenance? The only one I found with a Google search was a subsidiary of TRANSFIELD SERVICES GROUP which is international. It never spells out what "USM" stands for.

http://www.usmservices.com/

10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

That's the one.

11. forestfireguy

USM = US Maintenance

And Hosk, I agree, the poor spelling and poor grammar on a regular basis here is annoying, everyone has a bad a bad key from time to time, but some of the posts look like a runaway 3 year old got going on a keyboard. And a in printed/published business document or website it does make you wonder.

12. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

anyone know what the S.A sites were going for in your areas?

13. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Be careful that you don't get critiqued.

14. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

;) :laughing:

15. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

not surprised. Hopefully they will soon be out of business

16. lilpusher

lilpusher Senior Member
    from Indiana

The free market weeds out poor service. It may seem easier to sign with a national company but corps are learning the hard way

17. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

USM calls you daily to hire you? OK.

18. forestfireguy

Likes I says, somestimesss verybody has dab kystrokes.............

19. snowcookie

snowcookie Junior Member

They have put just about all of us out of business in my area. I couldn't find the USM site referring to their snow plowing business. My husband is an English teacher. He would love to "mark it up" and send it to them. Only the large landscaping and construction companies can provide them with the insurance and equipment they insist you have.

20. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Its easy to beat USM in your area....if your an independant contractor just simply do not sign with them and go get your own accounts...if they have nobody to sub the work to,,,,do you really think they are going to do it themselves ? on USM terms ? they will have only -1- choice....do it on your terms or GO OUT OF BUSINESS.

However...if the 1 truck operation keeps giving in to them and getting screwed then they will hang around until the companies they contract with get tired of lousy service and fire them. Its a vicious cycle and it takes time to work thru.

USM is not even thought of here in our area wesport