1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SportDuty or Standard Duty for Half ton?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by tyler711, Oct 5, 2006.

1. tyler711

tyler711 Junior Member
    from Maine

Hey everyone, looking for a plow for my 1/2 ton Ram. Short bed, quad cab, awd.

I called my local Boss dealer and was told I wanted :)jester: ) a SportDuty.

I live in Maine, and want a plow because my fourwheeler's just aren't cutting it anymore. Only thing is in dodge's manual, it specifically says no plows for half-tons. The truck is only a year old, and I don't mind going against recommendations, but don't want to do something too mean to it.

Should I go with a SportDuty or a Standard? Just want to plow my driveway (longish) and my grandfather's (very long). But it needs to hold up to a lot of snow. I'm worried that the Sport will be too light, or missing useful features that the Standard has.

btw, I was quoted $3985 out the door, tax and installation included (labor would be 200 for the install they said). THat's for a sport. How does that sound?

Any advice?
  2. Rbronkema psfd

Rbronkema psfd Member

Hello, if I was you I would buy the standard duty 7'6'' ploy straight blade. That plow only weighs 650 pounds. And I assume your truck has a coil over front suspention? If so I wouldn't worrier about. I would just go with the 7'6'' ploy and you will be fine. Accually the sport duty might be too small for you now that I think about it. Hope this helps.

3. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare Junior Member

WOW $4000.00 for that little plow i know steel prices have go up but i paid less than $5000.00 out the door for my 8'2'' v plow.
  4. tyler711

tyler711 Junior Member
    from Maine

Nope, I have a 3rd gen ram (02-05), so I have a torsion bar front suspension. (The 06's got coilover). The torsion bars are what I'm worried about.
  5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I've seen other people put Standard 7.5 Boss' on those Rams. I would think that should hold it. And that price is up there for a Sport Duty; paid less than that for my Standard 7.5 installed a few years ago. I could get a 8.5 Straight or 7.5 V for that price around here!
  6. premier homes

premier homes Member

dont worry about the torsion bars. i usad to plow commercial plazas with a 02 ram 1500 quad with the 5.9L. but 4000 seems high for a sport. i just paid 4895 for a fisher 9 1/2 extreme V installed.

if your front end drops down too much you may have to adjust your torsion bars...
    try another plow dealer
  7. harleyrider67

harleyrider67 Member

I plow with a 2004 Ram QC 4x4 with a 7-6 standard duty steel blade and it works great!!

The only thing I could suggest to you is have a set of Timbrens installed in the front end this will help the Ind. Front Suspension with the sag and use around 400-500 lbs of ballast in the back and you will be fine.

Your BOSS dealer will adjust your tortion bars for you when they install the plow cause the carrage hooks need to be around 15 1/2" to center. I had mine installed with the Timbrens last year for $4200.

Your 1/2 ton will do fine, just take it easy when plowing and you will get a lot of good use out of it!

Take care,

8. tyler711

tyler711 Junior Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the help, guys.

I called another dodge dealer, the one I bought the truck from that's a bit further away. They install boss and fisher plows. They head service guy there told me that warranty issues all depend on the dealer. He said that there, unless the truck was obviously abused/overworked, that they don't report trucks having a plow to Dodge for warranty work, as they don't have to. He said that obviously he couldn't guarantee anything, but that he wouldn't worry.

He steered me away from the light/sport duty plows, saying that with real snow I'd have an issue as they are 6 inches shorter ( I didn't want that anyway). Sometime this coming week I'm having him put on a 7'6" boss standard duty.

How much are the Timbrens? Worth it? Do they ruin the ride without the plow, as the plow will only be on when it's snowing (but I live in Maine, so pretty often).

And one last question -- how crucial are good tires to plowing? The truck still has the stock goodyear SR/A's ("all season" street tire) with a little more than a quarter inch tread left. I say that new tires would be a must, but my dad is accusing me of just wanting "cool looking tires" (this is the family truck, I'm just the one who does the research for stuff like this).

Thanks for the replies.
  9. harleyrider67

harleyrider67 Member

Hey Tyler,

The Timbrens were around 150 bucks installed and I have had no complaints with them at all. The only time they touch is when the plow is on, now if you hit a good enough bump or you are off roading a bit you may feel them stop your front end from taking a dive but that is what they are for.

As far as tires, I still have my GoodYear HP 20" on my truck and they have done well, but when I do decide to get new ones I will have to look at the Open Countrys or the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's for a good aggressive tire.

With 500 lbs of ballast in the back of my 1500 I rarely have to use 4 wheel drive to plow with. The truck just does amazingly well all around, I am pleased.

Good luck to ya and happy plowing bud payup

10. tyler711

tyler711 Junior Member
    from Maine

Thank you. From what I read, the Timbrens are a necessity. I think I'll see how the plow sits first, then order them if I need them.

Thanks for all the help, guys. I'll let you know how everything goes next week, my appointment is a week from tomorrow.
  11. Dakota2004

Dakota2004 Senior Member

I want to let you know that the old BOSS sport duty from 05 was only 7`, the new one is 7'6, or the 7'. The only difference with standard and sport is basically about 200lbs. You said its the family truck and you don't want to abuse it I'd say go with the 7'6 sport duty. They are lighter on the front end if thats what your worried about. I got a quote for the 7'0 3700 installed, and if I wanted the 7'6...50 bucks more but thats here in CT.
  12. tyler711

tyler711 Junior Member
    from Maine

Just picked up truck from the dealer. I was told I was going to get a 7'6" Standard duty straight blade with SmartHitch2.

Just picked up the truck and drove it home an hour -- it rode beautifully, only bottomed the front end once on some RR tracks (I think I'm going to get those Timbrens, but no hurry right now).

I know nothing about plows -- but when I got home, I read the top of the plow blade and it reads: 7'6" SUPER TRIPEDGE. I looked at the bottom of the plow and realized it was indeed a tripedge plow. Now, I know nothing of the benefits or setbacks of this type of plow. Also, I think this is a Super duty (assuming that's why it says it on the top) and not a standard duty. On my receipt, it lists the plow price as $3265 and including labor $3645, so around 380 for install.

What's the use of a tripedge, and is it what I want? Was it a good price? Thanks.
  13. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Whoa are you sure it says super duty trip edge? According to the BOSS website that plow weighs like 860 lbs. I would check back with the dealer and make sure you got the right plow. While your at it...how about some pics for us?? good luck
  14. tyler711

tyler711 Junior Member
    from Maine

Plow says Super Trip Edge. I'll have to measure the height on it tomorrow, as the super is 2 1/2 inches taller.

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow as well, the red plow matches the red truck beautifully.
  15. tyler711

tyler711 Junior Member
    from Maine

Here are some pictures, guys. The truck doesn't sag that bad, actually, only drops about 2 inches with the plow up, and still has about 1.5" under the bump stops on level ground.
    I'm going to the get the Timbrens, though. Anyone have a good site to get them from? I stopped at my local truck store and they called a distributor, and told me that it'd be $180 plus whatever shipping was. Aren't they around $150 online? I told him I could get them cheaper online.

Here are some pictures. Sag's not too bad, as you can see. And the plow matches beautifully, glad my dealer installs Bosses and not Fishers!

What do you guys think?

discover museum plow 052 (Medium).jpg

discover museum plow 060 (Medium).jpg

discover museum plow 056 (Medium).jpg

discover museum plow 055 CROP.jpg

discover museum plow 062 (Medium).jpg
  16. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Nice nice nice, that thing looks sweet. Did you ever measure to see if it was 27 1/2 or 30 inches tall, cause its amazing if your truck only squats that much with 860lb plow in the front, unless the boss website is wrong with the actual weight of that plow. What year is your truck? The only thing is that you cut off the rear of the truck in that second pic, try a full shot next time :dizzy: Congrats on the setup and happy plowing
  17. tyler711

tyler711 Junior Member
    from Maine

Thanks. I have one more shot that shows the whole truck, but it's the other angle (it's real wet out now).

Also, I have 7 tubesand bags in the bed, over the rear axle. 70 lbs each. I think ballast is supposed to be behind the axle, right? I dunno.

I'm pretty sure it's the Super duty, as the cutting edge is 1/2" thick. I'm not too worried, though, as the plow will do this driveway and one other (the other is a long, smooth, just paved wide open one. That one's fun to do, with a fourwheeler anyway.)

With the plow up, I have trouble steering while in place on dry pavement (so I don't, I immediately realized what a strain on the power steering pump that was). Is this normal? Seems to happen about half the time, other half it turns fine. When I hear it strain at all, I stop trying and move while turning instead. I figure my half ton has a much smaller pump.

Last thing I need to do is fix one thing with the Hella's I mounted behind my grill -- I tapped the trigger wire for the relay into the connector that went into the headlight assembly, so the Hella's came on whenever the highbeams were on (because high beams weren't very light, law says no more than 4 lights at once, etc.) That worked excellently, no extra switches or things to worry about. But with the way the plow was installed (a harness between the original light connector and the headlight), the Hella's come on with the highbeams whether the plow is on or not. I just have to move the relay trigger to the other side of the harness that was installed.

Other than that, I can't wait for snow! Anyone have a good site for Timbrens? I'll look around, but was hoping to hear of a good experience someone had.

Edit: The truck's an 05. It sits much more level than most other dodges I see, it came with the torsion bars nice and tight (I never touched them). Without the sand, the bed sits about 1.5 to 2 inches higher, and without the plow, the front was dead even with it. How was that price, labor and parts?

discover museum plow 054 (Medium).jpg

discover museum plow 046 (Medium).jpg
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  18. marioazcats/nh

marioazcats/nh Junior Member

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering how the truck and plow were holding up? I looking to put a Boss St.Duty on my 1/2 ton gmc. Wondering what people thought of full trip blades? I had a Fisher before with the trip edge. Any thoughts on which would work better I plow alot of gravel driveway in Southern NH. Thanks
  19. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

Tyler711's Last Activity: 03-19-2007 07:17 AM
    I dont think he visits the site much anymore.;)
  20. tyler711

tyler711 Junior Member
    from Maine

I may not have been here in three years but I still get email!

The truck and plow are my dad's. It's not used for commercial plowing, just my parents' driveway, my grandparents', and the occasional friend or neighbor.

Everything is holding up very well. No issues with the truck or plow, and no warranty issues with the truck (although nothing like a bent frame or failed tranny that they could actually fight us on). The dealer doesn't care about the plow mount when they see it.

With the sand we can plow plenty of snow, though. The tires were replaced with goodyear AT/S last year, load range C, and it can push a couple feet of snow just fine.