1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sport Duty Plow Free Play?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bstout, Dec 27, 2010.

1. bstout

bstout Member

I have the sport duty Boss and lately I've had to wrestle the blade onto the A frame hooks. There's quite a bit of free play where the center bolt holds the blade to the push frame. So much that the right hand side of the blade sags lower than the left hand side which has the kick stand.

All of the hardware is tight. If I grab the push tower it's just way sloppier than it used to be and there's nothing to tighten. I took the front center 5/8"X5" bolt out to see if it was worn but it looked okay. Is there a bushing or something in the front center of the push frame?

The blade has always had a small amount of free play in it but not to the point where it makes it difficult to get the blade on and off the truck because it sits, leaning to the right when on its kick stand.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Basically its just the plow becoming broke in. My plow does it too.

3. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I had the same problem. I just replaced the center bolt (had to cut the old one off) and it took quite a bit of slack out of it.

4. bstout

bstout Member

I purchased the plow new in 2007 and my drive way is one half mile long dirt road. This has all happened over time, little by little and not all at once. I have many, many miles on this blade. I took the center bolt out and it looks okay. It measures .620" in diameter according to my dial calipers. That's pretty close to 5/8" or .625". I'm not a machinist but I don't think 5 thousandths difference in the center would translate to 5 or 6 inches on the outside perimeter.

I have to prop up the right side using a short piece of 4X4 in order to keep the blade level enough to drive into it. If I grab the tower and shake it, the blade wobbles all over the place. I'm thinking the push frame wore instead of the bolt. I don't know.

I guess I'll call Boss customer service today and see what they say.

5. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

All the holes at pivot points wear over time, especially if you dont keep them lubed. You can disassemble the plow and weld bushings in to make it like new again.

6. bstout

bstout Member

I spoke with one of the service technicians at the factory last week. He said to check for any cracks which I did and I couldn't find any. He also asked what kind of job the blade was doing in terms of clearing the snow and my reply was perfect.

He said it was "normal" also. He also said some people like it that way because it follows the contours of the driveway more accurately. Especially my 1/2 mile long dirt road driveway and he's right.

He said I can angle the blade before setting it down which will make it easier to get on and off the truck. This is something I've never tried to do before. I always drop my blade in my garage and I've always had it pointing straight. I'm not sure which way to angle it to make the lean in my favor as far as the kick stand is concerned though. I'll have to experiment with that.

You were correct, RBRONKEMA GHTFD, It's NOT an issue!

THINK SNOW!!!!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  7. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

bstout: Take the Pivot bolt out and replace it with a grade 8 bolt.
    When you install the new bolt lube it very well with a "quality" water resistant grease, also add a grade 8 sae flat washer on the top and bottom and use a "dome top" locknut to retain it.
    Now use an impact gun and tighten the bolt up until you have "no" play in between the Pushframe bar and the Pushframe,
    This should make your plow set level again for "easier" hook up, plus it's "not" going to wobble all over the place.
    If you have any additional questions feel free to email me..

:rolleyes: John...

8. bstout

bstout Member

Did the trick!!!

Thanks, John!

I didn't have an impact gun so I used my two breaker bars along with my "old man" cheater pipe. It extended the handle on the breaker bar I was turning with by about two feet.

All of the free play in the blade is gone.

The blade will now go on and off of my vehicle the same as it did when it was new. Plus the blade isn't flopping all over the place. Not that it ever hurt anything, just made me nervous.

Thanks again!

9. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Glad it did the trick for you..
    I see it quite offen on blades that haven't seen yearly maintance.
    Plus hook up and removal to the truck is "so" much easier when the push-frame stays straight.
    :rolleyes: John...