1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sport Duty draining power too fast

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Mabepossibly, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Mabepossibly

Mabepossibly Senior Member

I bought a 08 Sierra 1500 with a 7'6" sport duty plow installed on it from a local dealer. Plow was installed by a local shop with a great rep. The Sierra was sold as a GM certified truck and they dealer wrote me a letter extending that warranty to the plow for 2/24.

When in use I only get 2-3 movements out of the plow before the battery is drained of juice. Often when clearing a tight area by my garage doors I have forgotten to watch the battery gauge and made the truck stall once or twice. Every other time I lift the blade, the lights dim to almost off and the door locks pop open. I used to plow with a F350 and a big steel fisher plow. That thing could move the plow around all day and the lights never even dimmed.

I made an apt to send the truck in for service, but am curious what you guys think. My gut is that the truck really needs a dual alt setup to effectively run a plow. I plan to add some electrical accessories in the near future (roof signal, scanner, CB, random exterior lights, etc) and would rather get it up to speed now, before I tax the system further.
  2. Could it be a ground issue?

Take to your plow dealer and tell them to fix it.
  3. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

I'm plowing with an 09 1500, and using a heavier plow than you. I have no elctrical problems ( knock on wood ). I dont think it is the truck itself, unless you already have a bad battery or Alt. I did have to have my battery replaced once already, but that was just before I bought the plow.
  4. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Local dealer needs to fix your setup. If you have a DMM check voltage at battery and at the motor when raising it.
    Use some alligator clips with pump cover off and have somebody raise up the plow but stand clear.
    Is the plow new?
  5. Mabepossibly

The plow is about 2 years old.

Im fishing for some ideas as to what the issue is. The warranty is with the GMC dealer, and I am guessing their techs dont know as much about plows as some of the members here.
  6. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Make sure battery terminals are tight.
    A cheap DMM costs about $20, put it on "DC", 20V range and put black on ground red on power.
    You don't need a dual alternator.

My 1500 had a new ~160Amp alt from Napa and a new 720CCA battery. Because the battery was near front of truck that plow flew and lights never dimmed. I really wanted to slow it down because I couldn't get it to stop where i wanted to. My 2007 2500HD has battery in front of pass firewall, a longer distance, battery is 600CCA. The lights dim and its slower but I have ~11.5 volts at the plow motor (same plow). If you have a dual battery make sure the plow is not connected to Aux battery. If it is that Aux should not have a thin fuseable think going to the positive terminal. If you can't measurer voltages then tell the dealer to fix it yesterday.
  7. Mabepossibly

Well the dealer blamed the battery so they replaced it and rubbed dirt all over the interior.

We will see how it goes these next few days as we are predicted to get 18-30" over the next 3 days.