1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sporadic wipers

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MowJo, Dec 1, 2000.

1. MowJo

MowJo Junior Member

My 1993 Chevy 3500 is suffering from sporadic wipers, they will sometimes shut off unexpectedly which is quite spooky, especially when raining. It acts as if there is a short somewhere in the control switch. Has anyone else had this problem or better yet, know how to fix it?
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

This is a problem on a lot of GM trucks,its the motor's circiut board,and or the connector at the motor.The board can be fixed,or exchanged for a new one,Try wigging the connctor t the mtor when it wont work,if that does it,clean the termimnals and attach a wire tie around the connector to keep it tight.if that doesnt do it,you need to fix or replace the board inside the motor,it can be done in the truck.Il try to get you details,
  3. bob

bob PlowSite.com Veteran

My 1995 did the same thing. I had to put a new board in. It cost $50. It was pretty easy to install.
  4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Had the same problem with my 93 Blazer but my mechanic replaced the whole motor. I wonder how much cheaper it would have been to just replace the board.
  5. MowJo

MowJo Junior Member

Thanks guys, I'll check the connections. Actually I did replace the motor several years back with a used one from a salvage yard. At that time the wipers had quit working completely and never came back on, thats why I thought it was a short this time around. I wonder if it was only the connection then.

John, any details on the circut board would be appreciated if that ends up being the problem. Thanks again
  6. bighed

bighed Junior Member

A friend of mine had the same problem on his 95. He took the motor out, checked the board with a magnifying glass and found a broken connection on the board. Soldered it himself and has been working fine for a couple years now.
  7. fordkilla454

fordkilla454 Junior Member

Wiper Blades

I was flipping through this site and happen to be thinking about my problem with this at the same time on my 95 Chevrolet. I appreciate the advice. Decided I would register cause this site seemed to provide sound advice.
  8. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

So, *this* is why you search before opening a new thread....

98 K3500 had the same symptoms, and the dealer replaced the "wiper pulse board", under warranty.

93 K2500 is showing the same symptoms, and the washers have also quit working. One of the drivers is a mechanic, and his opinion is that the problem is in the combination (wipers, washers, turn signals, and cruise control) switch. I'll show him this thread and see if it changes his mind.

Next question--79 K20 has similar symptoms. The wipers work fine for 20 or so minutes and then stop in mid-stroke. Grab them and move them with your hand and they work again--sometimes for ten minutes, and sometimes for ten seconds. There's no intermittant switch settings, just low and high speed. I've been thinking its just a matter of the wiper motor being old and tired, but it's easier to ask the question here first than it is to go out and swap motors only to find out it was something else. Any opinions?

9. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

My 94 GMC wipers sometimes would not come on sometimes. It was also the circuit board, the part was about $50.00.My buddy who that put it in did work on his neighbours 93 Suburban for the same problem about a month before he replaced mine so because of this and the previous post it sounds like a common problem.

10. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Yep, it does sound like a common problem in the later models.

Anybody have an opinion on the symptoms as I described them in the 1979 model?
  11. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The wiper motor has an "automatic" circuit breaker. If the load is too much, the breaker pops and the motor stops. You might want to make sure the wiper arm linkages are lubed, and moving freely.

12. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy Member

my wipers turn on, and won't turn off. it gets really annoying 88 c-1500
  13. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Anyone give a explanation of how to replace the wiper switch on the turn signal?

1988 GMC K2500

Basic switch. High/Low spray fluid.
  14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

REAPER, have you ever tore into a GM steering column before? Like to replace an ignition or turn signal switch? If so, then the wiper switch isn't too bad to replace. But if your not familiar with them they can be intimidating. You'll need a steering wheel puller and to make the job much easier, the spring compressor tool to remove the lock plate under the steering wheel. If you can gather up these tool's I'll walk you through the procedure to replace the switch.
  15. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

My 96 1500 had the same problem, turns out there was a recall on it, I had my local dealer run my vin# got it fixed for free.
  16. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I have the puller to pull the wheel off but I do not have the clip tool.

I know what tool you are talking about I think it is a horseshoe shape with a bolt with a hollow tip at the wheel end.

Maybe will check out Autozone or Advanced auto and see how much they are - vs - cost of having a friend do it for a couple of case's of beer.

A better idea would have been to have a set screw on the arm itself to slide the end off but that would make it to easy I guess.

Thanks for jogging the memory on how to get at those.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  17. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

Alot of the time it is cause by a bad ground.
    Just removing it and reinstalling it will fix the issue for some time.
    The best fix is to remove it clean up mounting surfaces and connector, apply some Di-Electric grease to contector and mounting surfaces.
  18. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Had a problem with the Tahoe I used to own where the wipers would work intermittently (which is generally only a problem when it's raining!). Though i never officially diagnosed the problem, I became aware that the wiper "motor" on the engine side of the firewall had issues. I'd pop the hood & tap it, and it would work for a while longer. Never got it fixed and sold it in '01.
  19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

LOL! A couple of cases of :drinkup: would be cheap payment! If he'll do it for that....take it!
  20. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

it seems to be a problem..my 87 monte did the same thing...took it apart and fixed
    a broken solder rite by the connecter