1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sporadic Ram 2500 CTD hesitation

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by crazymike, Oct 16, 2006.

1. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

05 Dodge ram 2500

My 2005 dodge ram 2500 has a very sporadic hesitation during moderate acceleration.

Sometimes when I take off, mainly when cold there is a real bad bogging/hesitation, and I can't place it.

At first I only noticed it during low fuel, I thought maybe I had some bad fuel in the bottom of the tank, but now I notice it even on 3/4 tank.

I'm not sure where to look and the dealer says they can't recreate the problem.

Is there a water in fuel light on this vehicle? I was thinking maybe I should drain the water filter this week, but I thought there was a light to tell me.

Bad fuel pump?

Some sort of ECM chip?

The truck is bone stock so I dunno.
  2. Cutter1

Cutter1 Senior Member

might be the catalytic converter your feeling. My 04.5 has and 04 doesn't, big dofference, just like your describing.
  3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

My '04 has a water in fuel light, BUT don't always count on a light to tell you. If you want to drain it a little look on the fuel filter canister and there should be a little yellow valve. Open it up and fuel will drain out of the hose. You can drain it all or until you feel is good. Fuel pumps on '05's are in the tank and have been pretty much trouble free since Dodge move them from a puller pump on the filter to a pusher in the tank. How many miles on your truck? Last time fuel filter was changed? Go by you a bottle of Power Service diesel treatment (silver bottle) (white bottle has anti gel, but either will work) at WalMart for ex. and poor in a whole bottle and go for a good highway run to burn off a lot of build up or hitch up a heavy trailer and go. These Cummins engines don't like to not be worked. You may have a dirty injector and what I just said should clear them all out real good. Try that and let us know.
  4. Cutter1

Cutter1 Senior Member

he's right, could be a fuel filter, something simple like that, don't think its an injector. I still think you should cut the cat off!! :)
  5. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Cutting the cat off wouldn't hurt ; )

I will do a fuel filter, air filter, etc.. this week when I do my winter service
  6. Cutter1

Cutter1 Senior Member

it is a 05 which means its a 600 diesel, they did have problems with injectos, I had two replaced on my 04.5 which is a 600 also.
  7. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

got 30,000 on my 05' has the same issue, still does it with new air/ fuel filters some thing with the tranny and the new power the 600's have in them.
  8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I have the same problem with my 05' personally I should have never got rid of my 2001, I have had more problems with this 2005 its a real piece of sh*t.
  9. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I ran some gunk injector cleaner thru and it seemed to make things smoother.

I've been more or less happy with this truck, but had a few issues. Ujoints were replaced under warranty after one year, light plowing that season.

Remote starter was full of corroded wires due to improper installation

There is a grinding in the front end when I turn a corner sometimes. Only at certain times, I can't seem to figure out how to recreate it and neither can the dealer.

This engine problem which I think is fixed.
  10. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member