1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spooling axles of 87 k20

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by xlr8, Mar 11, 2003.

1. xlr8

xlr8 Senior Member

one of my friends said i could inexpesively increase my two wheels of traction to all four by "spooling the axles or diff". can anybody out there direct me on how to do it or to a site that covers that sort of thing???

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Spooling is not something you'd want to do if you are EVER going to be driving on pavement. Installing spools, or welding spider gears together will essentially give you positraction ALL the time. This process cannot be easily reversed (welding, or replacing the spool with a set of new spider gears).

Remember, when you make turns, the tire on the inside of the turn makes less rotations than the tire on the outside. A spool will cause the one that can't "keep up" to skid (slip). Depending on how much traction you have, such as on pavement, the end result is snapped axle shafts, blown U joints, or worse.

If you are going to be mud bogging 100% of the time, then a spool may be for you if you cannot afford a locker(s). The same goes for cars and trucks that race on dirt tracks. If you plan to drive on the street, forget the spools.

Just my $0.02

~Chuck

3. xlr8

xlr8 Senior Member

thanks for the input Chuck. The truck is used for plowing only(dont want to spend alot of money) , but i would not want to break anything , so a locker or two would be the way to go then?

4. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Yes, a locker would be the way to go IMO.

~Chuck

5. xlr8

xlr8 Senior Member

Thanks Again. I REALLY hate when my truck breaks because of it only being used to plow. Sounds like a good spring project.

6. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Glad to help. After reading my post I want to clarify something though. It is natural for the tire on the outside of the turn (or inside) to skid or slip when making turns. Having a spool will cause the tire that can't keep up, to bind (due to traction), resulting in something letting go.

~Chuck