1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spontaneous combustion

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by maniakmax1788, May 26, 2010.

1. maniakmax1788

maniakmax1788 Junior Member

Wednesday May 26th 2010

Cause of fire: TBD

Was not being operated, half tank of fuel, key off. doors/windows closed. High temp day (90's)

Any ideas?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 2005_Sierra

2005_Sierra Senior Member

was that a 272C?

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

cause of combustion; a slow leak, hiting something electrical, and/or a short in the wiring

4. maniakmax1788

even in a 6 month old machine? especially not being operated! no one was within 1000 feet of it.

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Battery explosion

6. maniakmax1788

how does the battery explode? because on the other side of the lot is another identical 262C that was bought at the same time. and that machine is fine. Defective battery perhaps with the immense heat? even a 90degree day isn't that much though.

7. buckwheat_la

did someone need insurance money?

8. maniakmax1788

yeah we can't think of any enemies but it deff. was not for insurance. if it was for insurance we could have spared one of the older junk 246's

9. 2005_Sierra

2005_Sierra Senior Member

have you fired any employee's recently?

10. buckwheat_la

i was just making fun, but seriously, i am still guessing a short and a leak somewhere

11. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Ah, that sucks...

Post 'er up on craigslist as "mint condition", make excuses for why the buyer can't see the machine first, and demand a wire transfer for payment before pickup. :jester:

12. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Had it been operated recently? I would suspect arson. Diesel fuel doesn't tend to light easily without accelerant, and even then there would be 2 points to failure. You would need an electrical issue (that sparks in just the right place with enough heat to ignite diesel), along with a fairly rapidly leaking fuel line. Lead-acid batteries don't tend to spontaneously combust when not charging-generally a battery explosion would be caused by overcharging, which couldn't happen if the machine was off. Did the fire marshall inspect for gasoline, kerosene, etc? What time of day/night did this happen?

13. kjgp1300r

kjgp1300r Junior Member
    from RI

Machine was used 24 hours before it randomly caught fire and exploded. Had >100 hours. It was used all winter for plowing.

14. kjgp1300r

kjgp1300r Junior Member
    from RI

Fire Marshall was kind of an idiot.....Machine caught fire around 3 PM and exploded about 3:10. Machine was located near woods where people hunt/hike/ATV etc. There was another machine exactly the same with about the same hours located about 50 yards away. It is giving us starting issues, it turns over but will not start. Then sometimes it fires up with out any issues at all. These new "C" series machines are junk if ya ask me.

15. maniakmax1788

quality control.... Caterpillar is going downhill...

16. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Tony Soprano sleep next door?

17. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

On that machine is the batterey located in the engine compartment or under the cab? can you get some pictures of the other side? The explosion/s was probably the tires bursting. There are only a few things that cause explosions with vehicles tires, gas shocks/struts, and aerosol cans. Diesel doesn't really explode in those conditions. If the right side tires melted and the other side is fine chances are the fire started on the outside and spread inside.The variable here is the wind. if it was windy and blowing on the left side that would explain why it's not as "crispy" If it started in the engine compartment chances are it would spread evenly to both sides. If you have more pictures with closer details of the left, right, and rear I'll see if i can get my buddy to look at them. He's an arson and explosion forensic guy he's really good.

18. kjgp1300r

kjgp1300r Junior Member
    from RI

Here are some more pics.....

Battery located under cab.
    Fuel tank located to the right of the motor.

102_0151.JPG

102_0152.JPG

102_0154.JPG

102_0156.JPG

102_0157.JPG

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  19. kjgp1300r

kjgp1300r Junior Member
    from RI

That's all i have for now, i can get some more this weekend.
    The tires are not fine on the other side, both rear are gone, the right front is the only one semi intact.

102_0158.JPG

102_0159.JPG

20. plowinli

plowinli Member

I am not familiar with that machine but to me it look like arson. I have no expertise but if you look at the machine from the front it has more damage on the right side, when you look at the engine compartment it looks like there is more damage on the right side again but that is the opposite side. Being that most poeple are right handed and would be throwing from their right side. The final kicker is there is almost no damage on one side of the machine. You can throw lite matches in diesel and it will not light, it takes a steady hot fire to start diesel. I think they used some kind of accelerant to start it IMO. If it turns out to be arson I hope the catch the bast***!!!