1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

spongy brakes

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by yako, Oct 30, 2003.

1. yako

yako Member

i have a 89 dodge w250 with the cummins. it has disc up front and drum in the rear. the brakes became very spongy. i replaced the master cyclinder and bench bled it before installing on the truck. i then bled the hell out of all the brake lines starting from the furthest. i see no leaks or wet spots on the lines or wheel cylinders. any help on what could be the problem i would appreciate.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Are the rear brakes adjusted up tight ? If not,it will cause excessive pedal travel.It could still be air in the lines too.

Do yo have ABS ? If the ABS valve is bad,it will cause the brakes to feel spongy.

3. yako

yako Member

yes it has rear wheel abs. also if i pump the brakes the pedal firms up a little.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd still check the rear adjustment first.Then bleed them again,pumping it very slowly,and see if it gets any better.If it doesn't,get some brake line and bypass the ABS valve to see if it's any better.If it solves the problem,I would just leave it that way as the rear ABS is nothing special.

5. yako

yako Member

thank you ill give that a shot