1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Splitting My Contract?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Dodge Plow Pwr, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I just got word that one of my customers is splitting the contract between me and and another company. They have 2 different locations and the other guy can't make it up to the other so they are giving me one and the other guy one. I am a little upset as to really make any money I need them both. If I didn't really need the money I would say all or nothing as my originial contract has BOTH properties listed. They also want to know IF the other guy doesn't work out IF I would go back to do the other buildings as well.... What is going on this year??
    What would you all do in this situation?:angry:

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I have some like that. Sometimes it's a good thing because if you rely on to much from one contract and you lose it ,it could be worst. Just pick something else up.

3. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I'd just do the work, something is better then nothing.

4. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

Being the devils advocate, from their prospective if you break down and can't make it, the chances are they the other company would...and visa versa. Not that I would like it...but it does kinda make sense. I do an Arby's in town and the other one is done by a different operator.

5. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I'm with you on this one. You most likely bid it based on aquiring both properties. Bid may have been higher had you known they'd be split. Unless it specified that they had the right to split the award, I'd be a bit upset as well.

6. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I am upset, and my prices would have been higher if I was only bidding the one place. I need to work like the rest of us, so I will be doing half. The guy who got the other one is only using a snow blower for a 1.5 acre site that has drifts ALWAYS at least 3-5 feet high. They asked me IF this guys doesn't work out if I would be willing to take it back over. If they call back should I keep my original price or raise it like my contract says if it is not signed by Nov.1st? I have a feeling they will be calling me right after the first real snow with some wind as this place drifts with the slightest snowfall.

7. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

Hey Dodge...as I got reading this again and thinking about what you said about bidding it higher if it would have been one lot, I think I'd try this. When you send your bill, send it for the amount that you would have charged if you did one lot. If they call you on it, simply tell them "You asked for a bid for two lots" I gave you that bid, which included a price for the two. Since I am not doing the 2nd lot, your numbers changed, as did mine. See what they say? If they ***** and you don't want to loose the lot, go back to your 1st bid price. He he They may not even notice. (By the way, I would't feel bad about doing this...THEY changed your bid...you didn't!)

8. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

First off, I love your graphic at the bottom. I have caught myself stairing at it for several minutes.

Read the bid. If it says price for the two, then raise your price.

Read your bid. If it says the price will go up after Nov1 , then the price needs to go up. Does it say what it goes up to or by waht %? You posted 11-26 and they have not signed with you yet, then the price goes up.

You know they will be calling you if this guy is using a snow blower for 1.5 acres. Raise your price to what you think you need. Is there a chance they are going to find someone to plow it this late in the season for your price or less? I don't think so.

Good Luck

9. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

This isn't a new thread, so it surprises me noone else has commented back with this thought. It's the contractor's job to ensure adequate coverage in a breakdown, and it's also the contractor's job to make it known ahead of time that backup plans, and backup plans for backup plans, are in place. Does ANY contractor go crying to the customer that his plow broke and they're SOL or on their own for getting the lot cleared? No contractor worth his weight is gonna use this technique and keep his contract more than a day.

10. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

You may want to check the language in the RFB. There coould be fine print where it allows them to pull something like this. I've seen it before.

11. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

You can put an "all or none" clause in any bid you do. This way they know your prices are only if the bid is awarded entirely.

12. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

You may just have to play out their game...even though I can see both sides. I'm in the same boat w/ a similar deal. I knew that there was no way the other guy could do what he promised and according to my regional manager there has been nothing but complaints...and we haven't even hit the hard stuff yet. I was told not to wander too far...In other words at my expense the owners of the company need to learn the hard way...I've been there before w/ others...when the leverage becomes mine they will be signing for next year as well...good luck to ya!!