1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

split pipe slides over loader edge - no dig

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by slim-steve, Nov 16, 2004.

1. slim-steve

slim-steve Junior Member

I found the attached picture of a pipe that is split length-wise and slid over the edge of a loader bucket so it would not dig up gravel driveways.

The pipe has bolts screwed through the sides so it attaches like a "C" clamp over the edge of the bucket.

Any idea on the diameter of the pipe used, type of steel, size of bolts?

All ideas are appreciated.

front end loader pipe edge pic 2.jpg
  2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Large enough to slip over your cutting edge.
    and I would replace thoes "T" handles with bolts as any ice will brake them off. You may have to drill dimples into the cutting edge for the bolts to seat. That one looks like maybe 1"ID pipe for a smaller bucket and we use any scrap pipe we have. black, galv. whatever
  3. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

Looks like a piece of 1 1/4" well pipe. :drinkup:
  4. slim-steve

slim-steve Junior Member

no digging - loader edge

Your right. Replacing the "T" handles with bolts is a good idea and drilling dimples for the bolts to bite into would keep the pipe in place.

I am having the pipe for the loader edge made, so I would like to use parts that will last. Labor will be the biggest expense. My ignorance on steel and welding doesn't help.
  5. slim-steve

slim-steve Junior Member

well pipe vs peace pipe

I don't know the difference between well pipe and a peace pipe. Is a well pipe bought at a steel dealer, Home Depot, or a farm supply store?

Thanks for your help.
  6. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

Well pipe can be bought at any hardware store, all it is, is a piece of galvanized pipe used for older wells, it won't rust, I just haven't ever used it for anything besides a well I installed. Thats why I called it a well pipe. :waving: Breck
  7. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

The second that thing spreads your gonna loose it...Rob
  8. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Easy fix, weld it on in a few spots it is easy to cut back off.

Better yet why use it anyway. I have never cut into any blacktop even with the front wheels off the ground and a new cutting edge. as for dirt just don't tip the bucket far enough to bite.
  9. slim-steve

slim-steve Junior Member

no experience with a loader

The gravel driveway is up hill and I have no experience with a loader. I figure it will be much less work using a device that will limit the damage I can do to the property.

There are a couple of spots where the snow piles up over 9' high next to the house and must be moved in order to see out the windows.

Skill using a loader will come later, but until then I'll try the pipe over the loader edge.