1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spinner won't spin w/o help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by GSU Lawn, Dec 2, 2008.

1. GSU Lawn

GSU Lawn Member

Hopefully someone out there can give me an idea what is wrong with my salt spreader, When I turn it on, it does nothing until I go and hand spin the wheel every time, then it will work. I just had a new motor put on it last year and it was working fine when I stored it this spring. Any ideas, it is a snow-ex junior.

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

when my fisher would do that i would have to tighten the set screw up by the pulley and belt next to the motor.

3. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

I have a swenson spreader that was the same way (I don't even know if yours is the same type) but the electric clutch wasn't getting a good 12 volts, so I wired in a relay, so that it sourced it's power straight from the trucks battery, and used the original wire to just signal the relay. now it pops on every time with no trouble.

4. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

When I had that problem, it was the gearbox going bad. Used it for a year like that, then I finally figured it out.

5. GSU Lawn

GSU Lawn Member

Thanks everyone for all your input, I wound up taking the new motor off and got it tested and found that a bearing had seazed up inside. Luckly Snow-EX covered it. Put the new motor on today and it fired right up.:redbounce