1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spinner Motor Leak

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by White Gardens, Jan 7, 2012.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Used my hydraulic spreader the other day and noticed that it appears the shaft seal is leaking.

Also when I spin it by hand, it sounds rough so I'm guessing the bearing has seen better days.. Really disappointed as the college that had it before replaced the motor not long before I bought the truck, but not surprised considering how much salt ran through it last year.

Can these motors be re-built, or am I better off buying a new one.

2. LON

LON Senior Member

Shaft seal leak is a common problem. Yes, it can be rebuilt but a lot of the time it is just a band-aid fix. The shaft will show wear rings where the rubber seal wore grooves into the shaft and putting the new seals will seal it only for a short period of time. You might get the rest of the season, you might get until the end of the week.
    That roughness is normal. It is how the gerotor works inside. There is only a little thrust bearing inside and you would never know if it was bad or not w/o tearing the motor apart.
  3. LON

LON Senior Member

Get me numbers off the motor or a good description and I'll get you numbers on a new one.
  4. White Gardens

Thanks LON, I was hoping you'd chime in. I'll see what I can get for numbers.

As for the roughness when spinning it, I just never remembered it being like that last year, but, with as much snow we had, I can't remember much of anything from last season.

5. White Gardens

Another question LON, can a speedy sleeve be used on the shafts to fix the groove where the seal has run? I'd just think it was another band-aid, but just more curious as if to anyone has tried it.

6. LON

LON Senior Member

speedy sleeve won't work due to the way the shaft cover plate is made.
    Is a 4-bolt or 2-bolt flange?
    1" shaft w/ a key or a cross hole.
    Char-Lyn or Roller Stator?
    NPT or O-ring?