1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spindle removal

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by juggernaut, Feb 17, 2004.

1. juggernaut

juggernaut Member

I have a 1995 F-150 4x4. I was wondering how do you remove the spindles on the Dana 44 TTB front axle. I took everything off including the five or six spindle bolts (cant remember how many) and the damn thing wont come off, I tried tapping, pounding, penetrating oil and an air chisel and it hasn't budged. Any help is appreciated.
  2. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

You are on the right track. Those sons of @%&8#5$ are a @$^*$!!! They will come apart. Sorry, that is all I can tell ya. Good Luck.
  3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

You have to spray the daylights out of the spindles where they meet the steering knuckle. Then, wrap the spindle with a towls and pound the daylights out of it with a sledge. Hit it in all directions, not just on top. When you do get it off, clean it up with some fine sandpaper and solvent. When you are ready to put it back together, use anti-sieze to keep it from sticking again.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I had to pound the heck out of my f-250 to get it off. I mushroomed the stud on the ball joint. But, not to worry 5 minutes with the Handy dandy air cut off and it landed on the floor. If the joints need pressed, don't even bother trying to do with a rental tool. I took it to NAPA. Three hours and $25 later the spindle was ready to bolt back in. Do not use heat either, you will change the harding on the spindle,which is bad.