1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spindle hub nut.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 70monte, Sep 3, 2009.

1. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Is the 36mm spindle hub nut on a 98 K3500 reusable or does it have to be replaced each time its taken off.? Someone on another forum said that these were one time use items. If thats the case, I will have to replace mine because I reused them when I replaced the hub/bearing assemblies.

Also, how important is it to get the exact torque on this nut because my torque wrench only goes up the 150 ft/lbs and I torqued it until it went to what I thought was 165 ft/lbs. Thanks.

Wayne

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct they are intended to be replaced every time, but it's only due to it being a torque prevailing nut. If you use red thread locker during reassembly you can re-use it several times as long as it's in good condition with no ill effects.

The actual torque spec is critical in order to maximize hub bearing life. If your torque wrench doesn't have a high enough range to cover it then beg borrow or buy one...don't just guess on the spec.

3. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

B&B, thanks for the info. Are these nuts dealer items only or will any parts store have them? Since I didn't use red thread locker and don't have the torque exactly correct, I will take them off and probably replace them if I can find them. I will probably have to take the truck somewhere to have them install and correctly torque the nuts since I have not seen a torque wrench at the local parts stores that go above 150 ft/lbs. I have not driven the truck much since the repair so the bearings should still be okay. Thanks again.

Wayne

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure Wayne most any good parts store will have the nuts.

Also, it won't hurt anything to drive it a little without them properly torqued, and the short drive is worth it anyway if it's needed to get the proper torque established. So if you do need to thats fine.

5. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Ok, thanks. I will see if I can get this taken care of tomorrow.

Wayne

6. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I got the new nuts put on and the torque I assume is right. I ended up taking it to the chevy dealer to have the nuts installed. I bought the nuts at a Car quest and then inquired about getting them put on there since they have a service department there also and are AAA certified. They pretty much scared me away.

The guy told me that they don't use a torque wrench on the nuts and even though all of the service manuals and literature say not to use an impact wrench on them, they use a impact gun to put them on and that they have done so many of them that they know how tight to put them on. He said that there is no pressure on the hub bearing itself and that the torque spec is not critical. To say the least, I didn't have them installed there.

Wayne

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And with an "expert" such as that, walking away was the very best thing you could have done. Because the final torque DOES affect the clamping force that the inner bearing races see in the hub unit. Thats the #1 reason the correct torque is so critical. If over torqued the clamping effect of the over tightened nut "squeezes" the inner races together and places considerable (and unnecessary force on them).

Clearly shows how little he knew....