1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SPHE 2000 Spread Pattern

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by procut, Jan 7, 2016.

1. procut

procut Senior Member

A couple weeks ago I got a new SPHE 2000 Salt Dogg spreader. It seems to do ok, but the spread pattern is horrible. It throws 95% to the drivers side. It even throws way in front of the truck, almost to front bumper on the drivers side. I have tried every possible combination of auger and spinner speed and it makes little to no difference.

The salt is hitting the spinner at the 5-7 o'clock position. I have the extended chute if that makes any difference. I've searched on here and seen lots of threads about this issue. I see a few of the modifications guys have made, but I think it's BS that I have to start cutting and modifying a new spreader. The dealer I bought it from seemed to have very little knowledge of the product (didn't even know the extended chute was available until I told them) not to mention little ambition. I haven't even bothered to call them as I know they would just tell me to get lost.

So even after a search there were so many different threads on this I didn't have much luck making heads or tails of what to do. So anyone have a spreader doing this, and if so what did you do to remedy the problem?
  2. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

Join the club..... I have the " new" standard chute design and it's even worse
  3. Easy Outs

Easy Outs Member

I just adjust how I drive over the lot depending on the size and shape. Sometimes I go one lap to the left, then circle back the opposite direction to get both directions if necessary.
  4. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Exactly. Adjust your driving accordingly. All you can do.
  5. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

Ours is two years old and I checked with tech support. Simple fix for ours was loosen up bolts holding spinner motor and adjust to the correct spot. Works perfect now. Not sure about new chute but might be that simple
  6. Easy Outs

Easy Outs Member

I'd be interested to see pictures of how it is adjusted if is it something noticeable in a picture.
  7. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I had the old one and I just made due with it. Never found a fix, this year I picked up the new spinner and I like it much more. It showed way better for me
  8. procut

procut Senior Member

I just think that is BS though. I have been using it all season, and yes you can still use it, just have to drive according. I have a few loading docks, ect that it's hard to salt with it only spreading to one side but for open lots it can be done, just takes twice as long.

I cannot believe Buyers would send these things to market like this. They need to go back to the drawing board, it's like they never even tested them. Should have spent the extra grand for a SnowEx or Western.
  9. Easy Outs

Easy Outs Member

When I priced mine there was a lot more than a grand difference in price. The Salt Dogg was several thousand less than comparable machines when I priced them. That's why I risked the issues with the controller too.
  10. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

We have had issues with both our salt dogs, and yes at the price point I realize not everything with these will be perfect. When we sent out first one back to the dealer the only thing they did was cut into it to midify where the salt fell, so that all we did ourselves for the next one.
  11. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

My Monroe I have set up that way, I like the majority to spread on drivers side, My light is on that side and I can watch the spread. I don't mind running back through. If its spreading in front of the truck put a flap behind the back bumper.
  12. procut

procut Senior Member

One of my employees talked to another guy that had the same spreader and he said that he did that as well and now it "works perfect" Claims all you need to do is cut between 1/4" and 1/2" from the back of the chute where the salt drops out. I guess I'll try it. I'll report back how it works.