1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Spent To Much On $$$$ On Snow!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Flawless440, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone else hearing from their grounds contracts they spent to much on snow?
    All my apartment complexes are wanting to change the scope of work for this summer.
    When bidding we follow their spec sheets, now they want a meeting to see what we can change.:cry:

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Tell them no problem, you'd be willing to charge more if they like.

3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Ive been wondering if a few aren't doing a little more price shopping than usual. I sure didn't have a chance to do any looking for new contracts...oh well

4. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I've gotten a few calls from people looking for bids for the same reason. I tell them I will provide better service but that the price won't be any lower. These are for sub divisions with roads. Next year the low ballers will be busy the year after everyone else will be.

5. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

Good year to sell seasonal rates, for next year.

6. grandview

Every year is a good year!

7. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Not with 400 driveways.:D

8. grandview

Yes,with 400.00 driveways.

9. Flawless440

Come on, this was the worst year for seasonals.... You could have made 3 times the $$$$, i know i did...
    But i do remember 3 seasons ago when we were all crying and you were sitting back still collecting checks...
    I'm still on the fence about seasonals...
    I have never made $$$$ in a winter, bought a brand new truck, 4 bulk spreaders, a bobcat, and a Florida house...
    Next season will be dry..

10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed!........

11. grandview

If you price it right you'll always make money. These last 2 snows we had one of my summer lawn cutting customers called to see if I could plow her driveway. She had the same guy for 9 yrs and she said he hasn't answered his phone in a month. Asked how much she paid for the season and it was 300.00 Told her I'll do it next year for 400. She thought it was kind of high,but I told her what you paid him and me it worked also to my price for the season and I was still around.

12. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

Sure, every year is a good year to sell seasonal. Just some years are easier to get the to take them.

13. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Mixed customer list, seasonal, per hour and per push we do this to make money, thus far it has been working for me.

14. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I just want to get paid for the work I did this winter!

15. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

It is early up here and not many calls right now!

16. Flawless440

Me To....Be collecting $$$ well into mowing season...

17. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I believe this to be the best formula...just need to get more seasonals to balance out over the long term. Short term(this winter) my mixture was optimalpayup.

And yes, I had a couple customers whining about their snow budget....but reminded them of the last 2 light winters, and they didn't seem to say much more. Thinking I may have a couple of them convinced to go to a 3yr seasonal contract..??..

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  18. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

One of my contracts is squealing like a hornet stung little girl. Accused me of making it snow, and promised to have me whacked if I made it snow again. Pretty sure they are giving me 10 more accounts.